Six Volt LEDs or...

cheesy

I found several sources for 6 volt positive ground LEDs and from past experience with 12 volt negative ground LEDs on my bikes, they'd be a vast improvement over the insturment bulbs now in the dash. Replacing the brake, turn signal, taillight, and flasher would also result in a lot less current draw on the generator. It could just loaf at idle. Main drawback is initial cost. They ain't cheap, but they last a long time. They are bright.

Also, years ago I converted a 60 amp Delco alternator to 6 volt positive ground for the DeSoto that my Dad never installed. Would need to fab some brackets and get a 3/4" pulley on it. Less drain on the battery when idling in traffic and I already have it.

Lastly, I could sit down with the service manual and read up on testing the voltage regulator and generator to make sure there isn't a charging issue within the system. Or see if there are incorrect lamps in the dash. Both are possible.

Things to think about.

After some consideration and the fact that I have a plasma cutter for making brackets, I'll go with the alternator. I built it specifically for this car anyway, so I might as well use it. I will probably still use LEDs for the dash lights, though. When I put them in the gauges of my forty year old Honda, I could finally see if I was speeding or not. I usually was. ;)

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

resurrecting an old topic

looking for suggestions for a flasher.

Ive replaced the entire wiring on my plymouth with a rhode island  kit.

I would like to run LED tail and front lamps which is not a problem but I don't know what to do for a flasher

still 6v positive ground 

I changed the front and rear turn signals as well as the instrument and dome lights in my car and it made a huge difference! I also bought a new relay (https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-6-volt-led-3-prong-120-watt-positive-chassis.aspx) and had to do a little rewiring but it works great now. The great thing about this site is you can choose the color of your bulbs too. I did red for the turn signals which helps them look better through the faded lenses and then chose a cooler 3000k warm white for the instrument and dome light bulbs so they still looked like incandescent and not the blueish white you get with most LED's.