Early christmas goodies...

p24-1953

I notice that the headers look to have a deep attachment point.  Does anyone know if the stock studs will reach or do I have to replace them with longer ones.  It also looks like on of the fins was damaged in shipping.  This shouldn't be a issue should it?

20171201_201756.jpg

20171201_201804.jpg

I'm loving those cast iron dual exhaust manifolds!

The damaged fin can be repaired. If the affected portion is about to fall off, or is such a significant visual defect that it completely ruins the part’s appearance, then carefully remove it, and have it welded back on by a shop experienced in aluminum repairs. If the affected portion is sill solidly attached, then you could just leave it alone. Most likely, the damage won’t increase unless that area is struck again.

No I sold a share it two of the telecommunications stocks my aunt gave me in 1950.....They had just been sitting there compounding and splitting for 45 years so I decided to take some walking around change to use for my hobby.

It was less than those OD things folks lust after for about the same gain in mpg.

Are you concerned abut my financial position or lack thereof?  Don't worry the treasury does do a monthly deposit to my account.  Well at least for now.  Who knows what evil lurks in those nice white buildings in DC?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Greg, so you spent $1500.00 to get 3 more MPG? You a govt employee?  LOL

Just guessing at a few figures here but at 4K miles a year and assuming $3 a gallon I get about 18 seasons to break even on that $1500. Which I bet Greg is close to 1/2 way through. 

Now gas can easily jump over that $3 mark and actually was closer to 4 for some of the years. Combine that with some big longer trips and that break even point may be reached already.  

• Like 1

Going on 14 years since the change over.  At the end of next season, if we go to Michigan, and Chattanooga we may be damn near breaking even. Now if we do the Trans America Endurance Rallye next year, Charleston SC to Seattle, I will be getting a jump start on my way to paying off the OD. Pretty soon when I take the P 15 to the gas station, I will be putting gas back in their tanks.....as if that was the point of the changes.

His guesstimate Includes cost of newer engine, rebuild, and goodies. His accuracy is questionable.  But like my aunt said, " Money is kinda like manure, you got to spread it around once in a while for it to do any good. "

Point is to enjoy the hobby. Good luck with your project and enjoy.

• Like 2