p24 engine help wanted

bluefoxamazone

hello Plymouth team,

I am in need of some assistance...

Since I can't find any parts for my cranbrook here in Europe, I can't afford to make any mistakes in ordering parts over the pond...shipment cost are huge...

I am looking for a reliable supplier for the rear crankshaft seals for my p24 engine.

Also I would lke to buy a new water distribution tube. (Bernbaum?)

And. I am looking for the right size of my mistreated oil plug from the differential. I have measured 16.5mm but I don't know which inch size corresponds and what type of thread it is. It would be a great help if I could find a modern car with this same plug that I can find here locally. Maybe it is a common size plug, I don't know.

any help is highly appreciated,

greetings from Belgium,

Franky

Edited by bluefoxamazone

I would recommend  Vintage Power Wagons.  The rear seal is about the same on all engines and ones I have used most frequently bolt on with three small bolts on each half.

Your car is about at the change year when the seal was rotated in around the crankshaft and would require a partial teardown to install. as I recall JV 134-3 was the earlier seal

and JV 134-9 the later one.  Victor Gasket number

The drain plug is designed so that it is flush with the housing when installed.  it has an indented square recess for a special wrench.

The fill plug is a standard 3/4 inch pipe thread which would be available at any North American hardware store. Cannot speak for  European sizes but it should be available.

Vintage Power Wagons can supply a water tube for about $50.   Your car would likely have the 217 or 230 engine with a cylinder head length of 23 inches. Better check to make sure.

Edited by dpollo
additional info

Check with this company as there are possible 3 types of real main seals used-very different. See this page, may require some investigation before hand on your part on which type of you have.

https://hagensautoparts.com/plymouth/28-engine-gaskets/5903

Only two of the three possibilities-sorry.

Happy Correct shopping trip.  :)

DJ

7c5bcbafc8ce314442f4bdfeff0958e1-p24 seal type 2.jpg

fb46c51d490535578e0e51450547b41c-p24 motor seal.jpg

great info , thanks guys. I think the plug may be a 3/8 size instead of 3/4". I have found one over here, have to check on the thread.

For the gasket, i have not found my way yet...

For the exact length of the water distribution pipe, I have to measure the size of the head ? Is there different quality in these tubes? Are they in Stainless steel or copper?

grtz,

12 minutes ago, bluefoxamazone said:

For the exact length of the water distribution pipe, I have to measure the size of the head ? Is there different quality in these tubes? Are they in Stainless steel or copper?

grtz,

The water distribution tubes are a different length for the short and long block engines.

Watertubes1.jpg

24 minutes ago, bluefoxamazone said:

thanks for the info Don!!! Aren't all P24 engines short blocks...? I have to look in my toolbox for an imperial tape ruler..;-)

grtz

that is the sticky wicket on export...now if your car was imported from the US later in life it should be a smaller length block....if Canadian it will be the longer block and as an original export odds are it will be the longer block.....easiest to just measure and be sure....

Plymouthy is right..........measure your engine head length to be certain about what you need and also I'd suggest checking the rear main seal that you actually have before ordering as my 1941 P11 should have had a rope seal yet when I went to change it I found that it had a neoprene seal like that shown DJ's pic, Best Gasket seal # 4164......but my car did not have either of the two different types of neoprene side seals as shown in the pic and after I installed them the leak almost disappeared..........so I'd suggest check first.........regards from Oz........andyd

so I guess it wil be a short block (see pic)....

and the seal seems to be a rubber seal not the one with the rope and the small bolts on the side (i think best gasket 3675). Are there differences in the front gasket kits too?

Now trying to find someone that can organise a fast shipment to Belgium.

thanks for the replies!!! take care!

image.png.0eb1fd53512dc9f5276afc09c86ae0ca.png

Edited by bluefoxamazone

BTW.......just a suggestion but you maybe better to measure and quote in Imperial measurements when dealing with US suppliers as I think that would be what the original parts and dimensions would have been made in and the US suppliers work in................do you have a thread gauge as this may help when quoting sizes in metric dimensions?................andyd 

If you need parts in the future try http://www.rockauto.com/  they're based in the US but have a good overseas shipping set up all tax's /duties are payed up front and there's usually a 5% discount code available with a google search.

I've used them several times shipping parts to the UK with no problems.

Regards........ Simon.