New Guy In The House.

Trucker Tim

Hello Folks.

Just a quick hello from Tim & Lori.

We recently purchased a 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe with quite a history.

I will get myself a bit more familiar with the site and be back. Got a clutch to adjust.

By the way, my very first car at the age of 15 was a "48" Plymouth. 

Funny how the circle keeps turning around.:)

IMGA2774 (384 x 288).jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Trucker Tim said:

Hello Folks.

I will get myself a bit more familiar with the site and be back. Got a clutch to adjust.

IMGA2774 (384 x 288).jpg

Nice car!!

8 minutes ago, Trucker Tim said:

Hello Folks.

IMGA2774 (384 x 288).jpg

Welcome TT everything is in "red ink" you plan on spending a lot of money on her...lol

Hello Mack The Finger & 55 Fargo Spitfire!

Hey Guys! Thanks for the welcome. It is a nice car with a lot of history and yes as always we will spend our way into "red" ink with another dream project. The short story is the car looks good from a distance but up close you can see cracked paint and the car needs repainted. My original plan was to find an old Plymouth and build a "replica Military Staff Car". We will see hot this plan is to progress. Right now we have several treasures for sale and hope to put a few dollars back in the bank. (that's the plan) Anyway. I'll try to post the story of our Lil Darling.

Hey Crew.
  Been looking for a very special car from my youth. When I was 15 years old a friend of mine’s Parents gave me a 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe. They also had a 1961 Chevrolet. Neither car ran and the deal was I would get the Chevy running for their son to drive and the Plymouth was mine. Got both cars running and I drove the Plymouth for 4 years. Wish I still had it.
  Ok, that brings me to now, 49 years later. I found a car in Port Gibons Mississippi just like the one I used to own. Made my plans and off I went to buy another 1948 Plymouth. 750 mile trip one way only to find out the car was not as represented! What a nightmare. It was a log way home with a sick feeling in my belly and an empty wagon. Pictured below is the car I left in Mississippi.
Junk.jpg
  When I got home Trucker-Tim was P/O’ed so say the least. There had been a different 1948 listed for sale but the add had been removed. When I began my second search the car was relisted. This one was in Edgewood Kentucky, just 15 miles below Cincinnati, a 430 mile trip one way. Called the guy and told him I’d like to come see his ride but explained what happened the last time I took someone it their word. He guaranteed me I would not be disappointed. My Lori guaranteed me this would be my last trip out of town for a car! Well, it will be! I fell in love, bought the car and brought it home on our trailer behind the dually.
Lori.jpg
  There is some neat history that came with this car. It was sold brand new from a Plymouth dealer in Fort Dodge Iowa, so the car came home. In 1990 the third owner, who lived in Cincinnati leased the car to a production company from Hollywood to be used in the filming of the movie “A Rage In Harlem”. The car was painted up like a taxi. We watched the movie and the car is in numerous scenes. Too Cool.
  When the production company was done filming the movie and the car was returned to the owner not all of the yellow paint came off the vehicle. The owner was mad as hell. We have the the documentation and letters to prove it. Anyway, knowing all this and being one to name everything I own and drive, the new car has been dubbed, “The Harlem Hussy”.

You can’t make this stuff Boyz & Girlz. I know this to be true, it’s sitting in my garage.       

Tim & Lori Powell
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."

Halem Hussy copy by Barry (350 x 438).jpg

Edited by Trucker Tim
  • Like 1

Hi Don.

We are located in southeast Iowa.

West Burlington to be exact.  

I need to find a picture of the clutch spring tool so I can adjust the clutch and then pull the oil filter and see if I can find a number on it? Gotta' get things in motion. Don't want to drive it till we get things in order. :D

Are you talking about the clutch over-center spring tool? The over center spring rarely gets out of whack but it is possible to adjust it without the tool. If you are talking about the clutch free play no special tool is required to make that adjustment. Simply adjust the length of the pictured nut 6-24-3 until you have around one inch of free play.

Clutchlinkage.jpg

overcenter_spring.jpg

overcentertool.jpg

Hey Don.

Yes Sir, I was talking about the overcenter spring tool. Don't know if I'll need it but I want one! Just downloaded the picture and diagram from the download section. Thanks for the pictures.

Making some progress Folks.

Yesterday in the shop we got numerous little adjustments made and did some fine tuning on the hood. It was almost impossible to close and latch and seemed to be a bit out of alignment. Got that corrected. Also have the clutch adjusted now so we have plenty of free~play. The clutch feels strong and the pedal is firm and smooth.

OK, getting back to the hood. There are several rubber bumpers or isolators on top of the fenders on both sides where the hood sits down on the body. All of these need replaced. Some of them are approx. a 1/2" tall with the 2 forward ones being noticeably shorter. Anyone have an idea where I can find these rubber bumpers???  

Thanks in advance and thanks for the warm welcome to your forum.

IMGA2874.jpg

Hey Senior Member with too much spare time on your hands!

Have not looked at "the ebay" but think I did find my hood bumpers on a link on the forum.

Trying to get a hold of "Roberts Motor Parts." They have them listed.

• Like 1

Hey Guys.

Thanks for the comeback. I can't seem to find the  "Wichita Trimming" site. Keep getting "Tree Service" sites. Gotta go to Lowes today, might spend a little extra time looking around.:D 

12/07/1941 A date which will live in infamy. (Don't forget to "Thank a Vet" tomorrow)

(On this day, in an early-morning sneak attack, Japanese warplanes bomb the U.S. naval base at Oahu Island’s Pearl Harbor—and the United States enters World War II.)

!cid_C9A094EB-BE68-470A-885A-621D4A77DE0F.gif

• Like 1

Thank You "classiccarjack".

We appreciate the kind words. Going to need painted one of these days. The paint on top of the car and top of the hood is cracked.

When they removed the yellow taxi paint somebody got a little too rough.

My Harlem Hussy.jpg