Home Made Intake, Exhaust & Freshen-Up

Adam H P15 D30

Hello All,

I edited my title so I can keep the same thread going.  That said, the previous owner decided to epoxy prime the car black before he put it up for sale about 7 years or so ago.  Needless to say I was tired of driving a fading, chalking, primered car after the first year but I pressed on.  Also driving a black car gets kinda hot in the summer.  In my previous post I was working on getting pops to paint it as I am not a good painter :)  He wasn't too thrilled about the idea so we made a deal, I would wet sand all the old primer off and he would paint the roof and satin clear the entire car.  I thought that was the cat's meow until I started wet sanding and wet sanding and wet sanding, you get the idea.  After about 40 hours of wet sanding I found a decent older repaint with some obvious red oxide primered spots and some rust under the tail lights I needed to fix.  What it used to look like:

1247002974_Dodge1.jpg.003d6a4f612a2391992acd2cae813f07.jpg

After A LOT of wet sanding:

IMG_2674.jpg.1f65e5cdf0671669d8c9c4865d4e5396.jpg

996623839_IMG_2676-Copy.jpg.3403a36845dd68f8b626f8e01a55f43f.jpg

1825055516_IMG_2677-Copy.jpg.715d0325316dde5ef39b5e1210d0c4a5.jpg

Bumper aprons were a lost cause with no origional paint to be found, also I had to find a similar green to cover the rust repair below the tailights.  Rustoleum hunter green was pretty close so I shot the bumper aprons and the rust repair with that over some red oxide primer.  Not a perfect match but it looks like an older grandpa repair....

IMG_2671.jpg.cf07d8a077252a6fab0fd91e818c9920.jpg

Used Rustoleum Almond for the roof:

IMG_2644.jpg.ef8296f5f72f95e730e7b725553b7d53.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg.763dfc7f39812966ad2c47d5074a611a.jpg

Spent the money for a good 2 part automotive Urethane clear since this car never sees a garage and rarely even sees a driveway.

IMG_2668.jpg.b94b41fbf6c54d006d0efc81acbd27e8.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg.9c5857bca9c438cc525b2f47f0b99788.jpg

A red oxide pin stripe to between the 2 colors to tie it all together?

IMG_2670.jpg.a52a198ab5b50389ae190453eca0b0ad.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_2667.jpg.b464b67afb0614683c778b9464adb9ba.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg.d7f240b921f34fe48170b304c917e352.jpg

I intend to paint the wheels either red oxide color or almond.

Jury is still out but opinions welcome!

Adam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Adam H P15 D30 changed the title to Home Made Intake, Exhaust & Freshen-Up

I vote almond on the wheel. Nice work. Like your skills and thought process

keep posting your progress

• Like 1

Wheels. To my ete red or almond will take the eye away from the beauty of the two tone green and almond. I would go matching green or black. Paint individual rims the four colors, take pictures and compare. Whatever, beauty is in the eye if the beholder. That is a great looking car, I like how you kept the weathered green, nice touch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:  I have been driving the car some and found an issue with a bog at full throttle, yesterday I noticed the was some smoke also.  I've always heard how well these little webers ran right out of the box so the investigation started.  I always noticed the bog since the manifold/carb change but I knew it just wasn't right.  Earlier (page 1) I stated I had to siamese the Langdon air cleaners because I spaced the carbs a little closer together than I should have and as a result I might have an airflow problem.  Pulled the air filters and went for a drive, no more bog and it ran even better.  

Looking closely at the air filters and covers I found the problem and I'm wondering if anyone else who purchased Langdon's air filters have come across the same issue?  The covers have an inside diameter of 6 7/8 inches and the outside diameter of the provided element is 6 3/8 inches, which leaves about a 1/4 inch gap between the element and the cover effectively choking the incoming air.  I can't believe this hasn't come up to Langdon as I am sure he sells a lot of these buttttt, I did modify his design which could've aggravated it.  Langdon puts out excellent products so I think my modifications are the likely cause.

The Fix I hope:  I am going to find 5"-5.5" elements and trim the base plate to match.  I will update when it is completed.

Adam

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

8 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

I really like the way the air filters came out so I hope I can use them.  If not, I'll be talking to John Edge about other creative options :)

Like your ideas and keep posting your progress. I worked a lot on the carbs I got from tom and we talked about my early drivability issues.  Never fond of the air cleaners so I made my own set up now 

9 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Just an update:  I have been driving the car some and found an issue with a bog at full throttle, yesterday I noticed the was some smoke also.  I've always heard how well these little webers ran right out of the box so the investigation started.  I always noticed the bog since the manifold/carb change but I knew it just wasn't right.  Earlier (page 1) I stated I had to siamese the Langdon air cleaners because I spaced the carbs a little closer together than I should have and as a result I might have an airflow problem.  Pulled the air filters and went for a drive, no more bog and it ran even better.  

Looking closely at the air filters and covers I found the problem and I'm wondering if anyone else who purchased Langdon's air filters have come across the same issue?  The covers have an inside diameter of 6 7/8 inches and the outside diameter of the provided element is 6 3/8 inches, which leaves about a 1/4 inch gap between the element and the cover effectively choking the incoming air.  I can't believe this hasn't come up to Langdon as I am sure he sells a lot of these buttttt, I did modify his design which could've aggravated it.  Langdon puts out excellent products so I think my modifications are the likely cause.

The Fix I hope:  I am going to find 5"-5.5" elements and trim the base plate to match.  I will update when it is completed.

Adam

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

I am looking forward to reading your update...  ?

• 4 weeks later...

So I found smaller diameter air filters (sorry forgot to take a picture) from WIX.  They have a nice application by dimension chart on their website.  Below is a picture of me trimming the base down for the smaller filters.  I am still confused as to why they caused a restriction when so many others use them without issue, but it runs much better now with no difference in performance with or without air filters.  

Air cleaner base.JPG

Now all that's left is to paint the rims and install new tires.  Going to put 235/60/15 tires in the rear to offset the tall 3.0 rear gears.  Currently has 235/75/15 rear tires, the smaller tires should put me at 2800 rpm @ 70mph.  I think I will paint the wheels Almond with an orange/red pinstripe.

Adam

Chrome..........yummy....Chrome is good, we like chrome.............well I do at least.............lol.............I'm not a "patina" person but really like how you have given the 'ol girl a refresh and a cleanup.........the chrome wheels will set it off even more............andyd

My solution to the air cleaner concerns

#1-engine heat distorting air filters no protection to elements

#2-limited air flow with bell type air cleaner

#3-fuel perculation with extended idle creating unstable idle quality

solution

#1-create an air cleaner that protects the filter system from the engine environment 

#2-provide better air flow to carbs

#3-introduce cooler air to the carbs

2E2FAD9F-DE2C-4B43-B5CA-DDEAA87F578F.jpeg