New member with a new project

Gregarious13

Hi everyone,

My name is Greg, I've been into all things automotive since I was 12 (I'm 32 now). I grew up and still live in the California bay area where I'm an automotive technician at a hybrid and electric car specialty shop in San Francisco. I've been a professional technician for 15 years now. 

I just purchased a 52 Dodge Wayfarer business coupe, a D41 I believe. I'm sure someone knows for sure. The car came with a 50 Coronet that ended up going to a friend. We're in the process of making the 50 road whorthy before I start on the 52. 

The Coupe doesn't have an engine or transmission and all the paint was removed by the previous owner in hopes of finishing the project. The engine and transmission are lost somewhere so I don't have them. I do have all the interior and outer trim and front end for the car, literally everything else but the engine and transmission.

The plan is to buy a donor car (a 1992 to 2000 Jeep Cherokee is the plan so far) and use everything from it like engine, trans, rear end, brake master, climate control...  I will keep the car looking as original as possible, inside and out, but with modern amenities and drivability.

Once the 52 is under way, I'll share the progress. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way too.

Thanks,

Greg

IMG_20171112_142656.jpg

IMG_20171112_142615.jpg

• Like 1

Greg, welcome to the forum from downunder, these guys know their stuff and have been a great help to me over the years..........I'm a hotrodder with a 318 poly powered 1940 Dodge Sedan but like stockers just as well..........the Wayfarer looks to be a neat project, we never had that body style here in Oz, only getting 4dr sedans from after WW2 apart from some Oz only Utes from the early 50's thru to the early 60's...............I would strongly suggest getting a paper workshop manual and also a parts book and read them cover to cover as even tho' you intend to hotrod the car you will be surprised what info you'll pick up by reading the various chapters.......btw what engine does the Jeep Cherokee come with?............anyway welcome aboard.........Andy Douglas       

Thanks Andy and John for the welcome.

Andy,

The paper repair manual is here and the parts book is on the way. Thanks for the suggestions, I really enjoy having the paper books for cars. I'll definitely need them for assembling the front end of the car.

The Cherokee mostly came with a 4.0l (244ci.) Inline six. Some came with a 4 cylinder but not many. Most the Cherokees around here are 4x4 but there are 2 wheel drive transmissions available from wreckers. I thought it would be neat to stick with the six cylinder even though it's completely different from the flathead.

Greg

Greg, how will the Jeep 6 go as far as firewall clearance?.........years ago I installed an Oz only Valiant 1970's  265 cube "Hemi" six in a mates 1940 Dodge  & had to recess the firewall a couple of inches to clear as even tho it was a six as the newer designed engines are an oversquare bore design as distinct from the old sidevalves which are way undersquare with long strokes and small bores...........andyd.  

Well, I'm hoping I'll have enough room without cutting the firewall, not that I'm apposed to it if needed. My wife has a 2000 Cherokee (I already asked, I'm not allowed to use the engine) and from the firewall to the front of radiator is 36". The radiators on these are very short but wide. I believe they are about 18" or so high, that means I should be able to get the radiator right behind the grill and allow the engine to come forward a bit.  The engine is considerably taller too but the hood has a nice hump for that.

Of course this is all theory, I'll see what actually happens when I try to stuff the engine in there. 

I think I'm a week or two.out before I get started for sure. I'm just about done with the brakes on the 50 and then I'll be ready to start the 52.

Greg

Welcome, having had a cherokee well two or three, I can tell you you are trying to put a 33 inch long thing in a 24 inch hole.  I always thought a Cherokee power train would be strong reliable, and realitively economical if it could be made to fit.  If you are a good fabricator it could work out.  You might Ned to notch the front cross member, move the rad to the front of the support use a pusher fan, make a trans mount etc.  One of my jeeps was a two wheel drive, it had a 3.73 limited slip rear.  They are pretty close to a near bolt in and can accommodate the stock wheels if you keep them.

Edited by greg g

I have done lots of fabrication and I'm 100% expecting there to be A LOT of fabrication on this one. That's what I love about these projects, if there aren't challenges, it's no fun. 

Plus, I haven't seen a jeep I6 used in a hot rod yet. Should be cool.

That's good to know that the rear end is really close to bolt it. I haven't compared widths with the Dodge yet. I may fabricate new frame mounts and use the Jeep leafs too, we'll see. I have heard that most if not all the 2wd cherokees came with a limited slip differential, do you know if that's true? Ideally I want to find an 2wd so I don't have to go searching for more parts. 

Greg

Edited by Gregarious13
Left something out.

1 hour ago, Gregarious13 said:

I have done lots of fabrication and I'm 100% expecting there to be A LOT of fabrication on this one. That's what I love about these projects, if there aren't challenges, it's no fun. 

Plus, I haven't seen a jeep I6 used in a hot rod yet. Should be cool.

That's good to know that the rear end is really close to bolt it. I haven't compared widths with the Dodge yet. I may fabricate new frame mounts and use the Jeep leafs too, we'll see. I have heard that most if not all the 2wd cherokees came with a limited slip differential, do you know if that's true? Ideally I want to find an 2wd so I don't have to go searching for more parts. 

Greg

A lot of them were sold in the southeast where 4wd wasn't a big issue back then. I only had the one, it came out of Virginia and did have the limited slip.  I believe they are Dana so pieces should be commonly available.

28 minutes ago, greg g said:

A lot of them were sold in the southeast where 4wd wasn't a big issue back then. I only had the one, it came out of Virginia and did have the limited slip.  I believe they are Dana so pieces should be commonly available.

28 minutes ago, greg g said:

I have come across two known 2wd Jeep's in my search. The other issue is most people listing them for sale don't.know what it has anyway. Was there a specific model that was 2wd? Like the Sport or classic or laredo?

I'm sure parts will be easy to find for the Jeep, that's kind of the draw to this whole project. I hope to be able to go on long road trips without trouble, but parts for the engine will be available everywhere.  I drive my 63 Ranchero daily. 

IMG_20171028_172129.jpg

10 hours ago, greg g said:

Nice, but not enough steering wheel clearance for me, back window too close...  Can't tell you by model, I think mine had a tag on it.

Fair enough! 

Ill start a new build thread when the time comes.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!

Greg

1 hour ago, mrwrstory said:

Gregarious, I like the way you think.  Cool project!  Please get that build thread online.

Well as soon as I have my friends Coronet on the road the project will be started. 

We got the brakes Workin last weekend. On Monday we we're replacing fluids and my friend decided to drop the fluid drive fill plug in the bell housing, so we had to pull the transmission out. We retrieved the plug last night so we should be back on track this weekend. 

Once all the mechanical is done we're going to do the re wire. Then he can drive it back and fourth to my place to help out with the 52. 

The Coronet is going to need complete floors, inner and outer rockers. Trunk floor repair, lower door skin and shell repair and probably more. Someone stuffed rust holes with foam and Bondo, poo poo on them.

Greg

IMG_20171203_142930.jpg