46 Desoto Carb

John32369

I have a 46 Desoto Custom Sedan and I need a carb kit for it. It’s a Ball&Ball carb made by Carter. It say 6-431 on the throat of the carb. Where would be the best place to get a kit for it and do I need a dash pot plunger for it when I rebuild it

John do a serach on ebay for 1946 Desoto Carter Carburetor kit would be my first place to look becasue the old carter kits contain all of the smallbrass parts. The newer kits do not contain all of the internal parts.

The real number is stamped into the flange of the airhorn.

Also the number you provide is not the carb number. The number will be on the flange on the top of the arihorn

with standard trans the carter carb would have been an EX1  with fluid drive trans and vacamactic trans then the carb would be EV1

the EV1 rebuild kit would be Carter Kit 1367C

Hope this helps.  If you order any kit they will need to know the model number of the carb.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I’m only assuming (and that can be dangerous) that the Ball & Ball carburetor is basically the same for ‘46 Plymouth (which is what we have), and other Chrysler marques, such as DeSoto. The engine in our car actually had a dashpot arrangement, altho’ the car has the “3 on the tree”, and it wasn’t connected to anything. So, I took if off. The car runs just fine without it. I did rebuild the carburetor, and I purchased the rebuild kit from my local auto parts jobber. It wasn’t that expensive, but it wasn’t an item that he keeps in stock (until now), so he ordered it from the warehouse for me—he had it the next afternoon.