Bernbaum Bowl Fuel Filter

Dennis Detweiler

I purchased the glass bowl fuel filter that is sold by Bernbaum. It didn't have a gasket between the bowl and metal body. Not a problem, I made one and works fine. Another issue: I installed it to the B&B carb and I get very little air flow through it when I blow through it. I removed the float and needle and still get little air flow through the filter. Is there supposed to be this much restriction through the filter? It's connected correctly, filter "out" connected to the carb and I'm blowing into the filter "in". It blows through freely without the paper filter element installed inside the glass bowl.

The bottom of the filter element has a metal base on it. The glass bowl presses against the metal base and holds the filter element up and into place. There is no space between the perimeter of the metal base and the inside perimeter of the glass bowl which keeps fuel, or in this case air, from flowing past it to get to the "out" flow side of the filter. Defective design? Anyone else using one of these filters?

Have a picture?  

I've been using a vintage unit without issue for a year now.  Works just fine. 

The fuel filter on our ’46 Plymouth was purchased from Danchuck for a ’56 Chevy. It included everything needed for installation. I’ve purchased replacement filters at my local auto parts jobber, and the filter included the gasket that fits between the glass bowl and the filter housing. Sorry. But I’m not familiar with what you’re using.

The one that Bernbaum sells is a replica of the AC GF48. It's probably the same one for classic Chevy.

I won't get the 39 P8 running again until Spring. It was warm enough today to install the rebuilt carb and new fuel filter, but I have a leaking gas tank and have to empty it and drop it down to find out where it's leaking on the top. I put on a new fuel pump a few months ago, but I think I'll also add an electric fuel pump at the tank outlet, since I'll have the tank removed. It likely needs a new sending unit (gas guage isn't working). One repair after another since purchasing it in September. It will be a new car soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Desotodav said:

Are you talking about the in-line sediment filter Dennis? If so, there should be a small spring between the filter and the bottom of the glass bowl.

Sediment filter.JPG

That element looks like it could be made from one of them mineral blocks you put in a parrot cage.

• Like 1

The fuel filter on our car that I got from Danchuck’s looks exactly like the one depicted in FlashBuddy’s photo. However, from my perspective, it’s upside-down. I’ve been told, and we all know how those old sages come to be, and how they come to continue—that the glass bowl should be below the flow of the fuel, to allow the settling of any large particulate matter. I would’ve tho’t that such “large particulate matter” wouldn’t flow thru the filter element, therefore—given that fact: the positioning the glass bowl would then be irrelevant. Or, am I missing something here??? Thx . . . . .

The picture is upside down. In that position it would be messy to take the bowl off of the top. Plus, the sediment wouldn't settle into the upside down bowl.

I have a new fuel pump on it which has the screen filter and bowl. The bowl fuel filter is connected to my carb. I'm also going to add a filter and electric pump coming out of the gas tank. Should have pure fuel by the time it gets inside the carb. :)

• Like 2