1941 Dodge 1 1/2 Ton Truck Too Slow - SOLVED

Duffy

[SOLVED - Thanks guys. Talked to previous owner today.  Big lever next to driver operates a two speed mounted behind the transmission. It was left in low after loading on to hauler's trailer.] Just bought a 1941 Dodge Dump Truck 1 1/2 ton.  It is a WF-32 model and the serial number is 8803598.  I suspect the top speed is 20 mph if I really push it!  It has a 4 speed tranny plus reverse.  Took it for a little drive and on the way back in a 25 mph zone with the motor revved up pretty dang high in 4th gear cars were piling up behind me and it felt like about 18-20 mph!  I bought this to haul stuff around this area and really do not need anything more than 45 mph. But will need that 45 mph on occasion.  I’m not even halfway there!! I looked all over the rear differential and could not see anything that looked like a lever/actuator for a 2 speed or a plate where someone had covered it up.  I will go out tomorrow and attempt to ID the rear end.  There is a large lever sticking up just to the side of my right knee as I sit in driver seat.  Than a couple of other small horzontal levers down low at the front of the seat farther out.  The large lever would not go in any direction with the motor running and the clutch in. Some of the levers must be to run the dump up and down.  I feel like I could pull tanks with this thing <grin>  Any ideas on how to speed this baby up?? 

11FBCCE9-F475-48A5-AC72-BFC427FB4658.jpeg

482337E8-ACE3-465F-963A-61790E411EFA.jpeg

Edited by Duffy
Problem solved

That is a great looking truck. There has to be plenty of inexpensive axles to replace that one, yet I find it hard to believe it will only go 25 mph. You must be over looking something. I would look under the truck and follow the rods. Good luck! 

• Like 1

It should do 45 easily...is it a two speed axle? Diaphragm looking thing on the front of the differential?

Have you ever driven an old 40's truck...nothing like a more modern truck.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  That is good to know about the 45 mph. I have driven these  trucks before. It has been awhile.  We had a 1939 on our wheat farm that we used to haul wheat every year and for sure it would go 45 especially going down hill with a full load!!  lol The steering would develop a vicious death wobble but she got the job done. My wife and I had a 1939 Plymouth pickup that we had a lot of fun in for several years.  45 mph was about it for her too and she did the wiggle wobble too.  After I look it over, I’ll try again.  I was so excited maybe I was doing something stupid like shifting from third back down to second instead of fourth.  Sounded like I was upshifting but....    I plan on looking at those levers very carefully.  Also I found the laylock 2-speed on here which sounds like a good plan.  Thanks again.  I’ll keep you posted.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:44 PM, Duffy said:

@Dodgeb4ya You got that right about the modern trucks.  Immediately after the maiden voyage in the '41 I had to get in my "new" '04 Dodge ram turbo diesel to park it back where it belongs.  Talk about a world of difference.  Still love the old truck though :)

OT, but a truck backed into my "new" 04 car the other week and totaled it (dash cam video available upon request). Splurged and got a new car (same make, etc.) and there is a world of difference even in the last 14 years between cars. Not sure about the basic functionality, getting from place to place, etc. But the electronics are hugely different.

Have to say though, that when I get in my old Plymouth everything feels familiar and functional even though the technology is from a different century.

• Like 1

I would like to see that video.  Funny you should mention that.  Years ago we had a 1939 Plymouth pickup.  My wife ran a marina on this small island so the whole thing made the 39 so much fun.  One day a guy pulled into the parking lot in a brand new 4x4 pickup and just parked in the middle of the area and started showing off to friends.  I was upstairs with my wife when she informs me she's running to town to get cat food, dog food, and kitty litter (her favorite runs).  So the next thing I hear is rrrr-rrr the starter, its running! Bang! Crash! Tinkle Tinkle!!  I look out the window and she had backed straight into the front end of this guy's pickup and smashed the grill, etc. just mashed it up, broken pieces laying around.  Long story short, we heard from our insurance company later and they said, "you should avoid that guy if possible, he is really pissed".  That lovely steel rear bumper.  Didn't do a damn thing to the 39 :):):)