IFS question

garyanna2

Hi I am a new owner of a 1952 b series truck thats been in the family for 3 owners. The flathead six was rebuilt about 8 years ago but has very few miles on it runs very well. The oil filter was changed to a spin on filter mounted down low off the right side of the engine. Other than that it is stock. I read the post on fuel sending unit on the club site, thanks for the help. Now i am looking at a IFS front as the tuck is a battle to keep  on the road groves , but i smile every time i take it for a drive. There is a IFS kit for a 53-64 dodge i found, this does not sound right unless there is a difference in frame width from the year 52-53. Does anyone know if the frames are wider on the 53-64 dodge trucks? I will post  a picture later. thanks

you either go the hot rod route with the Mustang II rendition offered by many companies or you go with a frame clip from a modern vehicle of your choice and the choices are varied and not expensive but often at an expense that once changed, it is not reversible...few of the clips have been discussed here, using the search feature should return some interesting reading.

The truck does have old nylon 4 ply white wall tires. I will get some radials and see if it helps me. The shocks are really old looking as well. King pins i have not checked yet.The steering box was dry and I took about 1/2 turn on adjustment took out most of the play. I only went 1/4 turn at a time and was told not to go more than 1/2 turn adjustment. Will that flathead make closer to 60 if i put a 3.55 rearend in it?

http://www.fatmanfab.com/product/mii-kits-mustang-ii-kits

I wish every day I had just gone this route, but I was under a time restraint on my first go round, so I did just front disc conversion and the after a rack and pinion power steering upgrade.

Fatman is about the best on the market and have a kit for your truck

• Like 1

IFS is a dirty word to some folks...well, ok three words....

The oem suspension was top-notch for its time but, that time was 60 years ago. As we, well some of us, get older we like an 'easier path' and driving old trucks is sometimes like herding cats when all we want is a decent ride and the ability to park the damn thing.  There are plenty of various front IFS swaps on the web and the quality of the finished job is always a function of the ability of the fabricator and the fitment of the shop.  And like many aspects in life, we always hear about the bad stuff before we hear about the good jobs.

I am a fan of the Gen I Dakota since the frame widths are similar at the firewall, it has excellent parts supply, the bolt pattern is the same and the ride height is set at the install.

• Sad 1

I love guys at car shows that complain about what others have done to their rides...it's like they expected to be consulted on what someone else's vision and wants were.  Someone told me they didn't like my colour choice once, I said its funny..I never once thought to give a poop what you thought. Lol

Only reason I like fat man is their reputation is pretty great, and there's are a lot of bad kits on the market too...sometimes price becomes too important and quality gets the back seat

The nice thing with kits like the Fatman is the engineering and geometry are already figured out for you. The clip can have a lot of variables depending on the installer and donor vehicle which is why I would lean towards a kit if the choice was between the two.

With that being said... as for my front end, it Has been completely rebuilt along with new gas shocks and radial tires. With the 3.73 rear gears, she sees 70 mph out on the highway on a normal basis. 

In my experience, you don’t necessarily need to have ifs to have a comfortable and nice driving truck.

• Like 1

I believe very few here will actually entertain a clip or IFS at home in their own shop by their own hand...and often if it is not in a magazine article, well, to some it is something that cannot be done at all.....I say this based on time, tools, shop space, welder and welding skills and ability to tie up a large portion of workspace for the job in general

• Like 2

I purchased 4 trucks this fall, ...and not one of them will ever see the original frame used...nor a clip...complete frame swap is the only option I'm willing to do now..no more mis matching and trying to make things work together, a frame designed and made to work as a unit, and although I know I'll need some frame modifications for fitment, I want all the newer luxuries and the old look and hopefully no touching of front or rear suspension geometry.

this said...likely take 2-3 to make 1 good truck and the D300 maybe a later in life heavy hauler build on a newer heavy truck frame

IMG_2679.JPG

Edited by 4mula-dlx

I've done several Dodge diplomat front-end swaps on the 48-53 frame.

I documented my first one and built a jig to help with repeatability. Unfortunately the post is missing pics now.

Guess I need to pay for the photo bucket links...huh.

I'll get the post fixed (ie pay for the site...ugh) check it a few times over the next day or so..............

48D

Volare /Dodge Diplomat front-end swap

2 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

I documented my first one and built a jig to help with repeatability. Unfortunately the post is missing pics now.

I'll get the post fixed (ie pay for the site...ugh) check it a few times over the next day or so..............

48D

Dad put a Volare clip in his 47 Ford.  It was a nice, compact, clean install and it rides / handles very well.  The adjustable torsion bars are a big plus.

5 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

48D

you don't have to cave in to the Photorape site...just embed the pictures in the thread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Dad put a Volare clip in his 47 Ford.  It was a nice, compact, clean install and it rides / handles very well.  The adjustable torsion bars are a big plus.

Them Ole Fords need a Dodge spension just to get it right....lol

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

...instructions please...

when you post you have the options to add pictures to your post.  Easier on a computer than a cell.  Just drag and drop the attachments at the bottom of the post where it says "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..."  or chose the insert other media drop down

23 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

when you post you have the options to add pictures to your post.  Easier on a computer than a cell.  Just drag and drop the attachments at the bottom of the post where it says "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..."  or chose the insert other media drop down

...yes I am a computer tard.... Just drag and drop the attachments at the bottom of the post...

I repied with this post so that I could 'see' the  'bottom of the post' ...The 'choose files' should work for me. Thanks !! Allow me to try this.......

cylinder_head_section_001.jpg

if your default image on your digital camera is high pixel count you may well bust the size limit here.....when that happens I often will use MS Paint to size it for posting to forums and save the image marked as a forum post copy instead of losing my default image size...you can go up in size but going too large will distort the pixels sometimes for a less than clear image..

2 hours ago, wayfarer said:

...yes I am a computer tard.... Just drag and drop the attachments at the bottom of the post...

I repied with this post so that I could 'see' the  'bottom of the post' ...The 'choose files' should work for me. Thanks !! Allow me to try this.......

cylinder_head_section_001.jpg

Man that sure is a pretty picture

There really isn't any room to cut the exhaust spring seats on HEMI's is there?

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

Adam, no, not much meat there and I always tell folks that cutting the seat is a good way to ruin a head. There are usually enough springs to choose from, that actually fit,  that cutting should not be needed.

Appologies to the OP for this slight diversion...now back to the IFS question.

Edited by wayfarer