Ball and ball accerator pump

38plymouth

I have what I believe is the original carb on my 1938 Plymouth. I have rebuilt the carburetor several times over the years and always noticed that the accelerator pump that came in the kit was too long so I reused my old shorter pump. I recently ordered a new kit from Mike's carburetor parts and everything was perfect in the kit except once again the accelerator pump is way too long. I inspected my pump closer and noticed that it looked like it was cut off and braised. I contacted Mike's carburetor parts and they couldn't figure it out but they thought they found a rebuild kit from another company with a shorter pump. I can't say enough good things about Mike's carburetor parts, they purchased that kit from a competitor and shipped it to me for free. Unfortunately that pump is also too long. The owner of the other company insists that the pump is the right one for my carburetor and I just need to install it and be done with it. I did try a longer pump but my spring is too short and the pump won't work correctly. I'm thinking I may install it again and stretch the spring and see if I can make that work. Right now my car seems to be running fine with the rebuild on the carburetor and with my old shorter pump. I'm just concerned that the accelerator pump is at least 20 years old that I know of. If the new longer one will work with my stretched spring I'm willing to give it a try. I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen a shorter accelerator pump in one of their old ball and ball carburetors? I will try to attach a picture showing my old pump compared to the new one. Also if mine was shortened why on earth would somebody do that?

1109170722.jpg

First Question what is the carb number that is on your car?

I looked in my AEA manual and for 1938 Plymouth there were four different carbs:  C6J1, C6K1  or B6H1,B6J1  I also noted that there were two different Acceleartor pumps used  carter number 64-40S  and 64-41S.

Not sure if this will help buy by my collection of catalogs this is what I came up with.

Call me rich Hartung

cell 484-431-8157  live near philadelphia PA.

Some one definitely shortened the rod. Can only think of 2 reasons why.

1. The bowl portion of the carb was cracked or broke in some way and it was replace with a different model that would fit but needed a shorter accel pump rod. probably cut the spring to fit as well.

2.  Some racer/know-it-all trying to get more fuel spurt from a shorter rod when stomping on the gas. What does the accel pump rod linkage look like?

An elderly mopar owner told me of that "trick" supposedly you'll dump more gas when you stomp on it as the plunger raises higher than it was designed too. I never tried it though. Does your 38 have neck snapping acceleration?

I think I recall that the linkage on the throttle shaft has to be modified also to increase the stroke.

Edited by plyroadking

then the correct kit for your carter carb is the carter kit 1012B. this is taken from my carter information.  If you can get the proper kit then you can compare the accel rod. As someone stated above maybe the bottom portion of the carb was replaces.  Also look for a used carb c6j1.

Just did a check on ebay and there isa nos carter rebuild kit for the c6j1 and it is only $20. Iwould suggest that you get this kit as a spare to compare partss also these old kits do not come up vary oftern and at 20$ this is a great prices.   1938 Plymouth Carburetor Kit Carter C6J1C6K1  this is the listing title on the bay.

Also in the kit there are instruction and the rebuild instruction might provide some more definate information about you current carb and then yo might beable to see if the bottom half of the carb was replaced.  worth the $20 investment.

rich hartung

Edited by desoto1939