steering box bushings

Alexander

Hi Folks,

I am experiencing a strange problem.  After press fitting new bushings into the the steering box, the cross shaft does not want to slip in.  Same problem on the bottom bushing. The bushings were the correct size prior to the installation but now seem to have shrunk??   Do the new bushings have to be machined after install?    The shop manual does not make mention of this.

Thanks

Edited by Alexander

you will have to make that determination using a Vernier caliper and mic the shaft that will be inserted, the book does not give a clearance tolerance in +/-......second, the bushing being of oilite material is really not a material for reaming as it is for cutting on a lathe...could it be that just the end is distorted from the distress of the press?  

You can buy a reamer that is adjustable. It will only adjust in thousandths increments. There will be a t-handle on one end and a screw and nut on the other. Adjustment of the screw expands the center portion of the reamer to the reamer will have to go completely from one end of the reamer section to the other to do its job correctly. Another solution is  to use emery cloth. You can cut a piece of bar stock of the diameter that will fit through the hole with a wrap or two of the emery cloth around it. the bar can be slotted to slip the emery cloth into the slot. the shaft can then be inserted in a drill and run the emery cloth back and forth through the hole. It's sort of a poor mans reamer but we used it to knock off burrs after pressing in a bushing. If you use this be careful not to get carried away and over do it. Also don't favor one side of the hole too much. 

Adjustable Reamer:
See the source image

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is not uncommon for the bush to undergo distortion on installation....so interference fit may now be present over a light float.  Odds are you may have to ream the bush to remedy the problem.

Ok,so what would be wrong with reaming the hole the bushing fits into?

you will not chip the metal as a lathe would but instead close the pores as you draw the metal in the direction of the reamer as it turns..while reaming will get the clearance it will be at the expense of the long term oiling properties of oilite...and I must add, I am only assuming that the man is using the correct oilite material as his bush to start with...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
blasted spell check know not the word oilite

Hi Folks-

Thanks for all the feedback!  After reading your comments I was struck with a thought. Perhaps the top edge of each bushing got deformed (collapsed) during the pressing.   I decided to gently file the top rim of both bushing at a 45 degree angle and that did it!  slipped right in with light taping by a wood block.  Once the shaft reached its nested position all was perfect. The fit is firm but turns freely by hand. 

Now I have to figure out how to properly center the cross shaft against the worm gear.  I could not find any index marks on the body or the shaft.  Doing it by eye I fear my steering wheel will be off.  Any recommendation are welcomed.

Try this....Insert the steering shaft/ worm assembly with bearings into the box.  Temporarily install the steering wheel.  It only goes on one way. When it lines up the way you want it, drop in the sector shaft so it engages the worm gear.

Mine is all apart now,  need to make a new gasket and paint the whole mess then assemble.  If you come up with a better way,  let us know.

Btw...I'm using 90 wt oil in mine as I noticed that the sector has roller bearings that might be hard to lube with grease as others have used here.