Oil Pan Removal, Engine in Car. '53 Windsor 265.

keithb7

On 11/27/2017 at 9:39 PM, Uberchin said:

I thought we are supposed to only run 30W Non-Detergent oil in these Engines? I know to definitely stay away from Synthetic because the seals will start to leak. What is the purpose to NOT run oil with detergent beyond kicking up pre-existing sludge and pushing through the engine? If the engine is clean (ie. Pulling the pan and removing all the sludge) can we then run non-synthetic detergent oils? Thanks.

I always ran detergent oils, never had a problem even before the engines pans were cleaned out. 

Not sure how much stock I put into the non detergent claim, heck detergent oil has been around a long time.

Hey but there are all kinds of "oil stories" out there.

Here is my oil pan from my 228 Fargo engine, bottom end was quite clean, and not much sludge in the pan...

20151102_143717_resized.jpg

20151102_143802_resized.jpg

20151102_143806_resized.jpg

20151102_143811_resized.jpg

I am about  at the same point, have the steering  off anyway,  looks like the pan should just drop out      long    Canadian engine

there is some seepage from gasket at the rear, nothing serious  .   is a new gasket , easy install. or tricky   ,   do not have one yet.

it was rebuilt in late sixties or early 70s, and parked after 73,    great oil pressure      .just do it I guess     , see if the gasket comes off in one piece.

find one first ,    probably the best policy.

ones I have seen shopping so far are not for Canadian  motor     . any brands to look for  ?

I got mine here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chrysler,1948

My pan came off pretty easy. I used gasket remover spray and a scraper on the block . Worked well. Most of the gasket came off in large pieces. I am putting my pan back on soon. Just letting paint cure here.

Edited by keithb7

Most gasket sets supplied two roughly 1-1/4" long/straight round cross section seals to go under the front seal aluminum support plate that the front end of the oil pan seals up against with the large curved cork gasket.

Seal 10-24-17 in the parts books... engine section.

I guess now they make you make your own out of a O-ring? Stupid IMO.

You don't need to deal with that if all your installing is the oil pan..

IMG_3091.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

We have talked about these two rubber seals before.