55 ply 23" to 1947 25" engine swap question

robt

• I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.  I built a 265 out of a 1947 237 ci. big dodge truck engine(used a crank & rods out of a 265).  Bored block .060.  machined the deck, skim cut off the head, .380 cam, new valves and springs,new pistons, rings, and bearings .  I also have an Edmunds dual intake with 2 rebuilt B&B's.  I was going to put it in my 47 1.5 ton truck.  But, I recently bought a 55 Plymouth savoy 230 3speed with OD.  I'm now planning on putting the 265 in it. I know the 230 was nearly the same hp. by 1955 but I have this engine that will be in very good condition and I will certainly drive the car more than the big truck.   I know I'm going to have to move the radiator and modify the oil pan.    My question is will everything else bolt up? I'm pretty sure the1955  230 flywheel is a six bolt.  should I drill the other 2 holes and  use the 230 flywheel?  The truck flywheel is really heavy and I'm not certain it will work with the car bell housing.    I haven't pulled the 230 yet. I just wanted to make sure there isn't another issue I'm not considering.

Thanks Rob

Your swap is certainly straightforward however you can make it easier if you know someone in Canada who can send you the  oil pan from a Canadian 55 or 56 and maybe the radiator too.

The 230 in your  55 should have an eight hole crankshaft so there will be no difficulties with the flywheel and bell housing    Too bad we are so far apart as I am looking for a 230 crankshaft

and likely have the pan and  oil pick up.  Shipping either way would be prohibitive.  ( I am on Canada's west coast)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your reply.  I have been looking for a Canadian oil pan for 6 months with no luck.  I even joined Kijiji to up my odds of finding one.  I would  be interested in buying one from you if you have one to sell.  I'm not sure how bad the shipping would be from BC to PA, but will look into it if you are serious about selling a pan.  I just purchased a 1929 Chrysler roadster (disassembled project) that I will probably save the rebuilt engine for.  I do have a 251 out of a 51 firetruck that has very low miles.  planning on a cam change and then putting that in the Plymouth down the road.  Let me know if interested in selling the pan.  I wish I could help with the 230 crank.  Is that the US made 230 (23' in engine)?    I do have several 237 and 251 cranks and rods setting on a shelf as well, but that won't help you.  I started collecting flathead stuff about 4 years ago and acquired about 7 engines trying to find a good block to build the 265 from.  I ended up using a 237 block and just relieving the clearances needed with a die grinder. 

Thanks Rob

First I will have to find the pan.  It is from a  58 Plymouth 251.   it may not be the same as a 55 .

Freight will be prohibitive, I am certain of that.   I went to send one special bolt from a differential housing to PA.  $9.00.

Manitoba   (55 Spitfire  above ) is a lot closer. and he does know his engines.

Sounds like you are doing well after 4 years of collecting.  I have been at it for 50 years.  An oil pan has lots of places to hide.

Edited by dpollo
clarity

ugh....I guess I'll just have to keep looking.  Than you both.  dpollo, I noticed you have a '28 Chrysler roadster.  Which model? My '29 is model 65.  Its totally disassemble labeled in bags and boxes.  I will start on it in the spring.  A man had spent 30 years gathering parts and restoring parts after he disassembled it but never reassembled it.  It will be a long project for sure.  If there wasn't so many NOS parts and parts that are ready to assemble I don't think I'd have bought it and attempted such a project.  However,  I never thought I'd find a roadster from that era that I could afford so if I'm going to have one It's going to  take a lot of time and work.  Is your roadster stock?  I'm struggling with not keeping it all original.  I know there are very few left and I have all the parts to keep it original.  But....a 265 engine and a R10 overdrive would make that  a fun ride.  I saw George's 29 Desoto a couple years back and was inspired by his set-up.  Does your 28 run well on the road?  I'd love to hear more about it.

Rob

When I put my 56 230 in my 46, I used the six bolt flywheel that was there.  I had it surfaced lightened  and balanced, had the ring gear flipped. One member Don Coatney ran into a problem because crank flang was thicker causing the starter gear to not fully engage with the ring gear.  He had the bell housing machined to accommodate the difference.  Good luck with your project.  Sent you a personal message.

My 28 is a model 52  4 cylinder.  A little slow for modern traffic.  It had been cut into a farmer's  truck and would have been impossible to restore if I had not had an uncle who was a master woodworker .  He respoked the wheels and did all the wood for the body and top.  Parts came from as far away as Australia.

The  29 model 65 is a very drivable car.   It is a true  Chrysler while my "52" is a Maxwell derivative.  No less lovable though.   Took 30 years to get it all together.  I had to prove that I could do it.  

3 hours ago, dpollo said:

My 28 is a model 52  4 cylinder.  A little slow for modern traffic.  It had been cut into a farmer's  truck and would have been impossible to restore if I had not had an uncle who was a master woodworker .  He respoked the wheels and did all the wood for the body and top.  Parts came from as far away as Australia.  

Hey! Stop stealing our parts....:o

Sorry mate but my  Oirish heritage makes it mandatory.      Somewhere in Oz there is a roadster without a top and a distributor drive.

I only wish my car was a "62"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Sorry mate but my  Oirish heritage makes it mandatory.      Somewhere in Oz there is a roadster without a top and a distributor drive.

I only wish my car was a "62"

I wish my 62 drives like your 52...:D

Edited by maok
spelling

I have 2 spare engines one from a 65 and one from a 75.  The 75 is the 248 ci  freshly bored .030 and new pistons assembled and bagged ready to go in.  I need to pull the oil pan and confirm that the mains are done.  I just have to see the 7 main bearings.  I'm going to finish the rebuild whether I use the engine or not.  The 65 engine came out of my roadster, looks like it was a running engine when remove.  I have new pistons and rings for it also.

Any issues with the vacuum tank?  I'm not familiar with how exactly they work.  I have a restored one but it has sat for years.  I can hear something moving inside when I rotate it. 

Any idea if the 1930 down draft type intake manifold will fit on the 1929?  Is there a Hollander manual that goes that far back that would cover that?  I have a parts list coming from the guy I bought the car from(I hope).  Its a whole different animal finding parts and information on Chryslers from that era vs the late 40s early 50s that are covered on this site.  Both in availability and price.  I'm planning on joining WPC club.  Is there any other sources for information such as a forum that covers that era Chryslers?  I've poked around the AACA site and have learned a little.

I have quite few extra parts if you know anyone who is looking for Chrysler stuff from that era.  Planning on probably selling some of it on ebay to help fun the project.  I have 3 transmissions, an extra roadster cowl,  5 extra  of headlights, extra set of front fenders, at least 4 bumpers, 2 extra radiators, a complete restored radio (head, receiver, and antenna), and more.

I would love find a wire wheel car and convert my car to wires.   I have a set of wire wheels but they are rough and pretty sure they are not correct for my car. 

Rob

I bought the entire running gear and wheels from a 31 Desoto which was to be hot rodded.  I used the axles brakes and wheels (19 inch) under a 26 Dodge (which in 26 was not yet a Chrysler product.)  The swap, including the later front springs and  steering  box was relatively easy with no cutting of components.   Moreover, it looked right and it gave me 4 wheel hydraulic brakes.  Good ones too.   The giveaway to a keen observer  is the larger diameter hub caps.    The original Dodge 4 was replaced with a 36 Dodge engine and trans. 

I traded it away but have no regrets as its new owner is a member of this forum and he is attending to all the finishing details.  It is very nice to drive.