49 and 50 Dodge/Plymouth parts compatibility

Fastback50

Hey all,

Was at the yard today and found this '49 Coronet....I immediately started eyeballing possible donor parts options for my '50 P19.  Wondering about the hood, grille swap, front outer fenders, and stone shield?  I don't need any of these parts now, but one never knows and it will be headed to the crusher soon.   Pretty sure the trunk lid is different since it's not a fastback, and door handles look different too.  Please let me know if there's anything else you can think of that would be worth pulling out.  230 appears locked up, but next time I may bring some PB and trans fluid and see if I can get it soaking for further inspection later.   Thanks.  

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1089.jpg

You will find the Dodge is a larger car in every way.   In Canada as well as other parts of the world, Dodge built a car on the Plymouth chassis and body parts from these will interchange.

The parts car pictured looks like the USA Dodge.  If the dash instruments are square that is the clincher.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dpollo said:

You will find the Dodge is a larger car in every way.   In Canada as well as other parts of the world, Dodge built a car on the Plymouth chassis and body parts from these will interchange.

The parts car pictured looks like the USA Dodge.  If the dash instruments are square that is the clincher.

Thanks Dpollo but I'm a bit confused (happens to me easily)...you are saying the body parts I mentioned will or will not fit?  Or that the dash instruments will tell the tale?  Thanks.

What I am saying is that the car in the picture is a US Dodge  which can be easily identified by the square dash instruments (and the size of the car) . In fact you do mention it is a Coronet.

Its body parts will not fit a Plymouth (or its Dodge twin which was not sold in the US).  The Plymouth body is smaller in every way.      

Too bad as the grille in the photo looks really good.

• Like 1

On November 26, 2017 at 3:20 PM, dpollo said:

On November 26, 2017 at 11:31 PM, dpollo said:

What I am saying is that the car in the picture is a US Dodge  which can be easily identified by the square dash instruments (and the size of the car) . In fact you do mention it is a Coronet.

Its body parts will not fit a Plymouth (or its Dodge twin which was not sold in the US).  The Plymouth body is smaller in every way.      

Too bad as the grille in the photo looks really good.

Yes, I'm bummed too because that grille is great looking....I may just have to grab them anyway lol.  You never know, I might have a Dodge someday....and it's going to the crusher otherwise.

13 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if can be had cheap, the bright trim on the vehicle will always be a good save....given you have room to place it and a means to later market it.  Looks to be a number of older cars...could have a fun day walking about all the history

Yes I think I'll pick up the bright trim and maybe even hood and outer fenders.  Unfortunately the 230 appears to have seen better days....I think the hood was left open at some point and now the spark plugs have essentially become one with the head.  The place is great fun to walk through, even though many of the cars aren't restorable.  These kinds of "junk yards" seem to be disappearing quickly.