Oil pressure at the pump

thebeebe5

Does anyone know how much pressure a stock oil pump makes at the pressure side of the pump before the oil pressure relief valve regulates it to the oil passages?

16 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

A pump doesn’t make any pressure. A pump creates a flow of oil. Resistance to that flow makes the pressure, the the relief valve keeps the pressure from getting too high by dumping off some of the flow. 

I agree that the pump creates flow. But the pump is also a positive gear pump with no slippage as compared to a centrifugal pump such as the water pump that allows slippage. Should the resistance on such a positive pump be increased to 100% something (the weakest point) will fail. 

Of course I should have worded my question more carefully.   Thank you.  

When I did my external oil filter setup I made a custom setup that deleted the stock oil pressure plunger and used an external sprint car oil pressure regulator with a bypass directly to the pan.  Still had a stock oil pump, just the version from a hydrive car that originally had the regulator in the oil pump housing; we took out the regulator, brazed the holes, and installed a fitting to take the oil feed out to the external oil filter and regulator.

The first time we fired the engine with this setup we had almost 150 pounds of oil pressure because of the initial setting of the sprint car regulator.  Shut it down immediately, backed the regulator setting down a bunch, eventually having about 60 pounds cold idle, 15 pounds hot idle with 10w-40 oil.

Marty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, martybose said:

When I did my external oil filter setup I made a custom setup that deleted the stock oil pressure plunger and used an external sprint car oil pressure regulator with a bypass directly to the pan.  Still had a stock oil pump, just the version from a hydrive car that originally had the regulator in the oil pump housing; we took out the regulator, brazed the holes, and installed a fitting to take the oil feed out to the external oil filter and regulator.

The first time we fired the engine with this setup we had almost 150 pounds of oil pressure because of the initial setting of the sprint car regulator.  Shut it down immediately, backed the regulator setting down a bunch, eventually having about 60 pounds cold idle, 15 pounds hot idle with 10w-40 oil.

Marty

Wow. 150.  That's what I was wondering....  just a topic of conversation in the shop this am.  Thanks @martybose!