mysterious switch under dash of 47 New Yorker

Harvie

Hello all, I just got a 1947 Chrysler New Yorker 4 dr sedan - I am very happy with it and I have the shop manual etc. There is a switch under the dash that I can't identify the function of. I shall try to attach pictures - can anyone tell me what it is for please?

Sorry, just trying to get the hang of posting a picture here. While I try to figure it out I shall describe it. It is a chrome plated switch about two inches long - not a toggle - but it sticks down vertically and is knurled at the end. I don't want to try to pull it or push it or twist it until I know what I am doing for fear of breaking it.

Trip meter knob...

• Like 1

Thank you all very much indeed. In order to activate the trip meter do I push this switch or twist it? I want to make sure that I don't damage it. Thanks again for all of your time and excellent information.

I think you push up and twist.

You won't hurt it.

Just be warned the odometer and trip meter wheels if they do not line up means the gears are probably damaged or broken....

1946-48 chryslers have this common issue.....I don't know who can repair the pot metal gears in the odometer.