Wiring gauges for under hood? - color codes

Bryan

I have a new shop manual for my D24, and a laminated wiring diagram from ClassicCarWiring. Neither indicate the wiring gauges.  And from pics under the dash the color codes don't seem correct (pic doesn't show a blue wire to ignition switch).   I'm planning (one of these months) to rewire under the hood and to the headlights, with splices to the wires coming from inside at point out of the firewall. Does anybody have a full diagram showing wire gauges, at least for under the hood?

Not many solid colored wires as in chart.

IMG_9093.JPG.28a7da097823adf5874e2de2a0bbbd7b.JPG

Supposedly blue, brown yellow & red solid colors..

IMG_9107.JPG.ca30bf509f9678acc307453605105cd7.JPG

IMG_9102.JPG.ef8e66845c3e8e1c954af88f88e9b42c.JPG

Looks like 10, 12, 14 and 16.   and what you have there is in relatively good shape so rather than rewire, tidy up the frayed spots with a bit of shrink tubing.

If you look at some of the wires they will be colored and then you will see a stricker mark in the cloth.  The stricker mark which is black represents a guage of wire being used.

If my memory is correct a single sticker represents 16g, 2 stirckers equal 14g and 3 strikes equal 12 g.

But the recomendation is to increase up to 14 g as the minimum and do away with the 16g wire.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dpollo said:

Looks like 10, 12, 14 and 16.   and what you have there is in relatively good shape so rather than rewire, tidy up the frayed spots with a bit of shrink tubing.

Under the hood most of the wire is dry rotted and about 1/2 insulation is gone.  Plan was to splice (solder and heat shrink) where some of the wires come into the hood area if needed. And fully replace between voltage regulator, solenoid, etc under the hood.

So if I order any individual wires from a place like Rhode Island Wiring..the "strickers" are not black or white tracing..solid red cloth covered wire will have the white strickers, solid yellow wires will have black strickers..etc?  A lot to learn.

anything I have ordered from Rhode Island has been colour coded the same as the original and of excellent quality.

Yes there are different main colors of cloth covered wires with different color stickers. So If you contact them they might have a set or wires already madeup for you and they are pretty deadon witht he correct wiring color and strickers.  Or you can make your own color combination. If your car is going for point judging then the correct color combination is important.

Rich Hartung