Bronze bushing/ spacer for flywheel bolts, Help!

Vin's 49 Plymouth

Hello everyone on my favorite forum!

I have miss placed the spacer/ bushing that fits on the crank to make the flywheel bolts not turn! The parts book says it's a bronze piece, but no dimensions listed. (for my P15C)

It's been about a year and a half sense I removed it, and I did place it in a safe location. But with all that life has brought to me this year, I cant seem to find it.

I know this is a small issue to create a new topic for, but I cant install the trans and motor into the car without it. And I'm ready to see what it looks like in the car, after restoring the frame (even the factory date painted 68 years ago) and dropping the front and rear springs.

So does anyone have photos of this or specific dimensions so I can have one machined?? 

Thank you for your time.

Vince McLellan

garage and 49.jpg

Edited by Vin's 49 Plymouth
model of Plymouth

Don is correct.  

Only the pilot bushing is oilite .   The crankshaft bolts have a special head which is shaped to fit through the  flywheel and not turn.

The nuts usually go between the crankshaft flange and the engine however they can be on the flywheel side.  In order to have the nuts on the flywheel side, studs must be inserted

through the crankshaft which means they must be installed before the rear main bearing and pan are put in place.

Thank you both,

I think what may have happened is that someone put the bolts in backwards and made a disc to fit inside the bolt pattern? I remember the nuts being on the engine side, not the transmission side. 

So i guess I will be putting the motor back on the stand and removing the rear main and oil pan before installing the flywheel?

That is not necessary.  Just install the correct bolts with the threaded end closest to the engine.  If the bolts are already in the crankshaft then install the flywheel that way.

As long as they are shouldered and fit the holes , and the nuts have a suitable lock washer, there is no problem in practical terms.   I cannot think of any reason to put a spacer between the flywheel and the crankshaft unless there is a mismatch of parts and clearance or starter pinion engagement is an issue.  These are all easily checked with the engine on the "bench".

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I think that you need to take another look at the parts and how they go together. It may be that a previous owner did something goofy but you don't need to follw suite.

The flywheel should have a shoulder about .1" deep against which the clipped head of the bolt sits and then cannot rotate. The nuts and washers then go on from the engine side of the flange...yes. it is a PITA. If you look back through Don's engine build you can see how he used 'normal' bolts and nuts if you have fat fingers or little patience.

Perhaps you can post photos of the trans side of the flywheel and the bolts that you have.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this weekend I got the engine, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and bell housing installed. But as you can see from the photo the step in the flywheel is too far away from the bolt heads to do its job. Any thoughts?

fw_bolts.jpg

...perhaps my old eyes are just not seeing exactly what that piece is....it is a seperate piece from the flywheel, right?

This what it should look like: (the center bushing and bearing are not oem)

flywheel 001.jpg

Edited by wayfarer

I have been working on Chrysler's products for over 50 years and I have never seen a flywheel ljke the one pictured.

Pilot bushings are almost always in the crankshaft.   It also looks like the holes have been elongated which  would be bad news in this location.

The noise of a  loose flywheel is something you will hear over and over in your worst dreams.   I will give you the correct flywheel for your engine if you want to come and get it. Shipping is prohibitive

• Like 1

Thanks D'

That is very generous of you! I work a technical college and one of the faculty has an extra one as well.

When I get it finished we will definitely have to drive across the border and meet up.

49 engine in.jpg

If I can help, try me.  I have a cousin in Bothell which is not so far from you and we travel the I -5 to Portland at least twice a year. Sometimes I use 405. I am on Vancouver Island just north of Victoria.  If you would like my email address just send me a PM.