Hey All

cheesy

Just brought home my Dad's 1948 Desoto S-11 Custom Coupe that he has owned since 1978. He and Mom hauled my oldest daughter all over the upper Midwest, chasing down parts for the restore. Dad says that he'd put her on the roof an old car(she was 4 or 5) and she'd be able to spot the 46-48 DeSotos. It's a beautiful car that has a few mechanical issues, mostly with the Fluid Drive. Being a railroad equipment mechanic, though, there shouldn't be any system on the car that's beyond me. I hope.

1948 DeSoto On A Trailer

That's my Dad rooting through the tool box and my shadow. That little girl that hung with my Dad is pushing 40.

• Like 3

Are you a member of the National Desoto Club?  Next year National Convention and car show is going to be held in Branson  Missouri.

I am a long time member of the NDC.  Have a very nice coupe.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks. Things are a bit tight in the garage at the moment. Should get some better pics after Turkey Day.

1948 Desoto

I'm not a member of the NDC, yet, but my Dad was. We were both at what I believe was the 2nd convention in Chicago.

Welcome!  Beautiful car!  Glad to see I'm not the only one with too many bikes hanging in the garage...:(

2 minutes ago, fhubler said:

Welcome!  Beautiful car!  Glad to see I'm not the only one with too many bikes hanging in the garage...:(

either he has a lot of kids or he has a problem...as for problem, I have about 10 bicycles myself and find myself basically only riding  one of the Raleighs or the larger frame Peugeot

Well, I don't have a lot of kids (if that tells you anything...), and I also have only two that currently get most of the miles... but the ones that used to be my favorite might be my favorite again, and they aren't worth anything to anyone else, and, etc., etc., etc.  My friends think I should build a bigger garage, but I think, "then I'de really have a problem with all that extra space!"

I won't even mention the kayaks...:unsure:

Forum Garage 1.jpg

• Like 1

Too many bicycles is never a problem. :) I have about a dozen just hanging in the garage and another six or so hanging in the shed. Particular to Raleigh's and Miyatas. And gear hubs. I used to ride Ultra distance events but I'm feeling much better now. I'm a life member of the League of American Bicyclists but since three knee surgeries, a foot rebuild, and getting clobbered by a car, my riding has curtailed. A lot. The thing about Bicyclists is that they are either Gearheads or they despise all motor vehicles. I fall into that first catagory.

Yes, I am a Jeep guy but I don't do the Just Empty Every Pocket thing. It's bare bones transportation that can take me anywhere, through anything. And drag felled trees through my property. Also, crammed into the garage are two French Velo Solex mopeds, a 1979 Honda CX 500, and a 2007 Russian Ural sidecar rig. The Ural is more fun than you are legally allowed to have.

I am located in East Dundee, IL, about an hour NW of Chicago and an hour south of the WI state line. As far as the issues with the Fluid Drive, there are two. One is popping out of gear. That started after Dad replaced the motor mounts, so I'm thinking an alignment problem there. It happen a few times yesterday. Once sitting at a stop light and the other in a left hand turn. The other is upshifting. After peruseing the Chrysler Fluid Drive Troubleshooting Guides, it may be because I threw in a new set of plugs and didn't readjust the idle. I hope so anyway. I can hear the relay click but nothing happens. First thing I'll check later today.

The car came with five boxes of stuff I still need to go through. There are several books in there that I need pull out and start reading. The thing I was surprised to find was the 6 volt positive ground alternator I built for the car years ago never got installed. Wonder if I should bother?

You all have a good day.

"The thing about Bicyclists is that they are either Gearheads or they despise all motor vehicles. I fall into that first category."

Yes, Sir!  And when you're on a tight schedule, it's best to combine the two when possible. ;)

Forum Bike 1.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, fhubler said:

"The thing about Bicyclists is that they are either Gearheads or they despise all motor vehicles. I fall into that first category."

Yes, Sir!  And when you're on a tight schedule, it's best to combine the two when possible. ;)

Forum Bike 1.jpg

Agreed.

Unloading

• Like 1

wow, you have two addictions,  are there treatments centers?  :lol:

DJ

14 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

wow, you have two addictions,  are there treatments centers?  :lol:

DJ

I tell my wife it's either the addictions or I sit on a stool at a bar. At this point in our lives, the bar stool may have been cheaper. ;)

Gorgeous car!  Thanks for sending more photos!

Love the shiny paint, especially that grey one with the primer showing through on the hood.  Obviously original paint.  No orange peel in those old lacquers!  She's smoooooth.

Edited by 46Ply

22 hours ago, 46Ply said:

Love the shiny paint, especially that grey one with the primer showing through on the hood.  Obviously original paint.  No orange peel in those old lacquers!  She's smoooooth.

My thoughts exactly yesterday after polishing out the original 70 year old black on our Town Sedan.  Unfortunately, I did not take a "before" photo because I thought, "It will never look as good as the preserved paint under the stop light housing..."  I couldn't believe the results... You don't get much better DOI (Distinctness Of Image) than that! 

Forum Paint 2.jpg

Forum Paint 1.jpg

• Like 1