Year of mfg

MarkAubuchon

I have several old flat heads  but I still get confused on the motor number ing system.  Im looking at a 1950/51/52  assuming the motor is orginal what would a dodge truck look like.  Also are the trucks titled off the motor or a door tag?

49 minutes ago, MarkAubuchon said:

I have several old flat heads  but I still get confused on the motor number ing system.  Im looking at a 1950/51/52  assuming the motor is orginal what would a dodge truck look like.  Also are the trucks titled off the motor or a door tag?

The title would depend on the state where it was sold new and their policy at the time. Dads 40 I believe was in WI and is titled off the engine #.

Here's a video I did about varies things....I included the chassis number location around 7:30 into the video.

Estrada Motorsports 1948-53 Dodge Trucks: Identification notes part 1

48D

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

first issue from new....back in the day some states I was familiar with would suffix the title to track transfers...

I didn't get the truck from the original owner. The guy I got it from had it for a year and decided to move it along. That title showed the name and address of the previous owner, which I believe to be the original owner. This address is about 30 miles from the dealer it was delivered to, according to the build card. I made a photocopy of that title before I sent it into the state with my registration paperwork. I'll have to dig it out and have a look at it again.

I have no idea if this concept is still in practice and if not when it fell from grace or how many states may have participated in the practice....I recall my dad and uncle discussing a vehicle and the number of previous owners by the suffix letter....I have always been one to say if you got the title and the car what is the big deal if you really wanted the vehicle.