1949 radiator removal

Thomba48

Hi,

the radiator removal shall be first on my agenda. Looks simple, but than everything is quite tight in that area. Any tips on how to proceed (with the main aim: to remove as little other parts as possible). From my handbook I can see that it is only a question of three bolts. But than nothing is ever "only" :-).

thanks for any hints.

I would say that you would have to loosen the fan belt and then taken the fan off the water pump so that you have some clearance. You might also have to remove the entire water pump from the front of the block and then this should provide you with enough clearance to remove the radiator assembly Also will have to remove the hose connection and water return lines and also drain the radiator of all fluids.

Rich Hartung

If your working on a 49 Ply., removing the rad. fan only it can be done if the fan bolts are short. If replaced at some time in the past with longer than stock it cannot be done. Remove water pump and fan in one piece is actually easier in my experience. Either way put a properly sized piece of cardboard over the radiator fin area first  and tape to the radiator. Both sides covered with cardboard would be best.

There are 6 bolts mounting the radiator in. The bottom bolt-driver side is hard to reach but you can do it!

Best of luck, take your time and all will be well.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Thanks 2

If it's a six cylinder car loosen the fan belt.

..place a piece of card board between the fan and radiator core

..remove both upper and lower hoses.. the lower if it has the metal pipe too remove all pieces

..remove the lower rad drain petcock completely

..remove the radiator 7/16" head bolts

..lift the radiator carefully straight up and out. 

NewYorker/ Saratoga eight cylinder cars require the heater box cover to be removed for clearance... also there is a access cover plate to remove on each lower inner fender well panel to gain access to the right and left lower radiator mount bolts.

I use an engine hoist to lift out the heavy eight radiators!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

If it's a six cylinder car loosen the fan belt.

..place a piece of card board between the fan and radiator core

..remove both upper and lower hoses.. the lower if it has the metal pipe too remove all pieces

..remove the lower rad drain petcock completely

..remove the radiator 7/16" head bolts

..lift the radiator carefully straight up and out. 

NewYorker/ Saratoga eight cylinder cars require the heater box cover to be removed for clearance... also there is a access cover plate to remove on each lower inner fender well panel to gain access to the right and left lower radiator mount bolts.

I use an engine hoist to lift out the heavy eight radiators!

thhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu