Three horse power tractor

pflaming

I find it interesting how different Amish groups will accept various amounts of technology. There's a group just outside of Green Bay, WI. (one of many groups scattered around WI) One day I was driving through that area and I saw 2 different rigs setup the same way. A team of horses pulling a wagon with an engine power plant, which pulled, and drove a modern Haybine. I thought I was seeing things when I saw the first one, then there was another one just down the road. The operator was standing next to the power unit to drive the horses and control the implement behind him. 

And then other areas they will only use horse drawn, ground driven, implements.

Edited by Merle Coggins

I have worked with Amish work for 15 years. I agree with Merle how one “Community” will allow different modern things then others.  The guys by me recently allowed battery operated tools that they can use at there homes or businesses. They also use cell phones that they call black boxes.  The crews I hire will drive my forklift, tractor and even my golf carts. But they will not pull my truck ahead to get it out of the way.  

On the other hand there is a community in Iowa that still cuts there fire wood with an axe.  They are not even allowed to work for someone and use there tools. 

The head Bishop in each community controls that.