Transmission parts clarificationun 1942

Advix

Recently picked up 42 windsor 6. Owner said first gear and overdrive just stopped working. I filled fluid drive last night. I believe it to be an M4 with first blocked out. but missing pieces on passenger side i only see the selinoid with no wireing? Any advice would be very helpful. My manual copy is a very poor copy.

I also have a copper sleeve in the shift mechanism at the firewall. Seems to be loose sliding up and down as it pleases. Should it do that.

Video click or cut 

Photos

Edited by Advix
Missing info

It looks like the vacuum pod is missing. It didn't just stop working, as most of the parts had been removed and there has been a modification linkage installed on the  right side of the transmission .  Also the kickdown wiring is probably missing. 

I don't know what the linkage is set up to on the right side. My diaphragm on the vacuum pod ruptured earlier this summer  and the transmission defaults to 1st (underdrive) in the shifter low position and 3rd( (underdrive) in the shifter high range. I moved the vacuum unit to the side and shifted that lever on the right side of the transmission just at the end of the rod coming out of the vacuum pod.

This leaves the car starting out in second in  the shifter low range, shifting manually to high range which is direct drive. I liked it better than the automatic shifting, that I have been slow in fixing the vacuum leak.

20170524_104526 (800x450).jpg

20170524_104501 (450x800).jpg

20170522_103558 (800x450).jpg

I had another look at your pictures. The linkage is missing or detached on the two levers on the left side of the transmission one for shifting between the low range and high range on the column shifter and the other to put the car in reverse.

It looks like they have made a linkage on the right side to take the place of the vacamatic control to shift the transmission between the underdrive and the gear in the low and high ranges.

Also an 1942 would be a very rare car.

Edited by 1949 Goat

I have the linkage removed on the drivers side. I am servicing and cleanning everything while I have it apart.

It all seams functional. The linkage you see on pasenger side is attached to pull out knob on dash. In theary that sould shift the car into high range when pulled out correct. It does move the lever at the transmission. Feel it is not secured as well as I would like.

It is titled as 42 it has roughly 36000 miles on it, I thought it was a peach when I seen it. only being in my thirties. I am just learning about 1942 and the production stops. From what I know it is one of the last 3 produced in 42 and it is a nice az car no rust everything works including the under seat heaters. I would be happy to share more pics if you are interested in them. I am considering sell it as I don't feel like we are the care takers the car deserves. I just enjoy working on them and taking clueless people for rides. 

Jason

From your comment about under drive. That would mean without moving the lever forward during operation  the under drive would always be engaged? I was told not to pull the lever while moving I would assume that is not correct working from that theory.

10 hours ago, Advix said:

From your comment about under drive. That would mean without moving the lever forward during operation  the under drive would always be engaged? I was told not to pull the lever while moving I would assume that is not correct working from that theory.

The assumption is the lever linkage on the  right side is to manually control the upshift\ downshift that all the automatic functions the vacamatic controls perform.

In the picture you can see the vacuum pod has been swiveled to the left so it's shaft is off the underdrive control. This allows the green linkage to be engaged in the rear position locking out the underdrives. I have left it like this all summer and have been driving it around as a 2 speed manual, shifting from the low range at start and shifting into high for normal speeds.

If your car is screaming at 40 mph you are in 3rd the underdrive of direct drive. I would check that modified linkage to ensure the shaft going into the transmission  is engaging. It looks like there are 2 adjuster bolts with lock nuts if the range is not correct.

***  Do not move that control lever while the car is moving as you are missing all the automatic controls that allow the transmission to shift automatically. Leave the lever that controls the undrivedrive preferably in the direct gear engagements and drive the car as a 2 speed manual, starting out in low using the clutch and shifting into high***

20170524_104526 (800x450).jpg

Edited by 1949 Goat