Is the H.A.M.B. down?

Tubman

I know some of you guys must visit the H.A.M.B. (traditional Hot Rod board) from time to time. I haven't been able to get on for at least a day. I generally check by logging into the "Ford Barn", but they seem to be down as well. Anybody else having a problem, or is it just me?

Edited by Tubman

Good.......err, well not good actually as I was just about to post the same question, haven't had my HAMB fix for a day & a half.......lol............its surprising, some of it is absolute crap, but then there are some things that are on it are not to be found anywhere else and I would miss it..............so I'll wait patiently...........andyd  

Could be a server config error (seen it happen after major upgrades) or the database crashed and is unrecoverable. If that hopefully that have a backup. 

FYI, P15-D24 backs up twice a day. 

5 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Hamb is back up...kinda...alot of threads that seem to have 'lost' several days worth of posts. Time will tell .....

Probably a database crash, didn't have a more recent backup. 

Not being a techie, is that reasonable ?  Why would anyone have/maintain such a huge forum not backup on a regular (hourly??) basis?

Like I say, I am not a tech-guy so maybe I am missing something.

8 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Not being a techie, is that reasonable ?  Why would anyone have/maintain such a huge forum not backup on a regular (hourly??) basis?

Like I say, I am not a tech-guy so maybe I am missing something.

Unless it's really mission critical like financial transactions, daily backups usually done during the slowest activity period,  would be the norm.  

7 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

Unless it's really mission critical like financial transactions, daily backups usually done during the slowest activity period,  would be the norm.  

Daily backups on most stuff was standard procedure for most of the companies I worked at. On the database driven websites I run, I also do daily backups at about 2AM local time. Once a week I apply those backups to a test machine to verify nothing has gone weird/broken in the backup/restore process.

My son works on computer systems for a company that does invenory control.  They back up very frequently.  Some employee opened malware, thinking it was from someone within the company, and the compnay was faced with a ransom demand.  My son merely restored the most recent back-up and deleted the data with the embedded malware, avoiding paying ransom.  Further, he instituted a way of determining whether a message was truly coming from someone within the company or from the outside.  Smart boy.