Steering shaft seal

ptwothree

I'm in the middle of refurbishing a steering box and need some help.  Can't find the shaft seal that seals the column to the box.  I have a '51 and a '52 box I'm working on.  The '52 was dry as a bone when disassembled and that seal crumbled to bits when I removed it.  The '51 was half full of oil and most of the parts are in good condition cept this seal.  I has no part # on it and is very brittle.  

I'd sure like to find a replacement but so far no luck.  Btw...Most of the seals listed at Rockauto for these boxes are for power steering boxes.  I'll have a write up when it's back together including part #'s. 

Any help with this will be much appreciated!

xRubvxqFmiMhgHUUfKjmq1E1OQp9VNeFkHx8GH5Y

nYuhq_ocy7R552D-z-Nzk4dHA8AI6OAoSqsha8JG

Edited by ptwothree
picture sizing was wrong

This seal is not much more than a washer which keeps dirt out of the box.  It does not have to keep oil in.

Seems to me there is a coil spring and a metal cap which slide over the shaft and fit inside the jacket which is dimpled to load up the spring.

I think a washer cut from leather would do the job.

• Like 1