dashboard help please

homer41

1941  p12 special delux. I am dismantling the dash and ran into a few snags. How does the  windshield wiper switch come out of the dash? How does the light  switch come out of the dash? I am also taking all of the chrome strips off and want to know if anyone has a special method of taking the little clips off? Clips shown.  Does anyone know if there is someone rebuilding the instrument cluster?  Dave

image:7403

The windshield knob  pulls off like a radio knob then the decorative collar unthreads from the part that sticks up through the dash. The problem is how to get a grip on it without scratching something up.

The headlight switch  either has a  slot in the bottom of the knob which allows a slim tool to be inserted which releases the knob's grip on the shaft  or there is a button on the  switch body which when depressed allows the shaft and knob to slide free.  The decorative collar then unscrews.  ( some replacement switches have thread on knobs  look for a set screw)

The instrument panel, if it is similar to the 48,  is held in place by the High Beam indicator fitting and the choke and throttle cable nuts.   

Thanks, that helps. On my 41 chevy pickup I found a place that rebuilt the guage cluster, is there an outfit that rebuilds mopar guage clusters?

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

The windshield knob  pulls off like a radio knob then the decorative collar unthreads from the part that sticks up through the dash. The problem is how to get a grip on it without scratching something up.

The headlight switch  either has a  slot in the bottom of the knob which allows a slim tool to be inserted which releases the knob's grip on the shaft  or there is a button on the  switch body which when depressed allows the shaft and knob to slide free.  The decorative collar then unscrews.  ( some replacement switches have thread on knobs  look for a set screw)

The instrument panel, if it is similar to the 48,  is held in place by the High Beam indicator fitting and the choke and throttle cable nuts.   

There’s a guy on eBay that makes a clever tool to remove those collars. 

32 minutes ago, Douglas said:

There’s a guy on eBay that makes a clever tool to remove those collars. 

Short two are the odd oval shaped sockets to take apart wiper motors. The left tall socket is the ebay dash tool. The right one is a vintage snap on socket for those same bezels. You can also make your own with a sacrificial socket and some careful grinding. 

IMAG1454.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Short two are the odd oval shaped sockets to take apart wiper motors. The left tall socket is the ebay dash tool. The right one is a vintage snap on socket for those same bezels. You can also make your own with a sacrificial socket and some careful grinding. 

IMAG1454.jpg

Yep, l was lazy and just bought it. 

1 hour ago, Douglas said:

Yep, l was lazy and just bought it. 

as you can see I own both. I did try to make my own out of a bolt but it didn't last so I ended up with the ones in the picture. 

Thanks folks, I had some success, dash is totally apart now. Does anyone know if the little clips that hold the chrome pieces on are available? Anyone know if there is someone who rebuilds the guage cluster?  Dave

20 hours ago, homer41 said:

Thanks folks, I had some success, dash is totally apart now. Does anyone know if the little clips that hold the chrome pieces on are available? Anyone know if there is someone who rebuilds the guage cluster?  Dave

Classic Instruments in Boyne City MI,  rebuilds, .. pretty pricey 'tho.

Had mine done for the P15 at Redline in SoCal.  They did a nice job but still an expensive exercise.

Homer, couldn't open the pic of the little clips..........can you repost it as an attachment?.............andyd