I Have a Screw Loose - What's it For?

FlashBuddy

You have the correct idea.  If you don't know  ---  ask some one who does ----  Charlie Stephenson

Come to think of it, I remember a assembly drawing where I believe there are splash guards on each side of the engine to help to keep dirt and dust out of the engine compartment. Is it possible that this is where those attached? I remember reading somewhere that they were left off for convenience and to reduce heat in the engine compartment.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pflaming said:

They are there as spares for whatever. Warranty items! LOL:rolleyes:

now aren't you glad you asked? 

You usually find a handful of them in the trunk... if it was a car. They do rattle much better this way:lol:

• Haha 1

Flashbuddy,

an attempt to give a serious answer - I did use that bolt holes to locate the clamps for the fuel line. Don`t know if they are supposed for that ...

The splash guards which johnsartain did mention are bolted to the upper profile part of the frame.

As long you don`t miss anything and nothing else besides the bolts is loose, I would not be worried ...

fuel-line_clamp_location.jpg.ba8e4e5d4e95072bc655294a9bd51c20.jpg

Edited by PT81Jan

2 hours ago, PT81Jan said:

Flashbuddy,

an attempt to give a serious answer - I did use that bolt holes to locate the clamps for the fuel line. Don`t know if they are supposed for that ...

The splash guards which johnsartain did mention are bolted to the upper profile part of the frame.

As long you don`t miss anything and nothing else besides the bolts is loose, I would not be worried ...

fuel-line_clamp_location.jpg.ba8e4e5d4e95072bc655294a9bd51c20.jpg

Those are the inner fenders. There are also splash/rock guards that attach to the bottom of the frame and go straight out horizontally towards the engine. The 39-47 trucks attach with maybe 4 bolts along the side of the frame and 1-2 on the cross member to give it some strength. I believe the other 2 sides just float. As someone mentioned above they were typically left off the first time they were removed because they just got in the way. 

• Thanks 2