19.5 wheels on cars?

rcb

I was reading a little while back that Plymouths (and I would presume all) could be ordered with 19.5" wheels and special suspension. (pre war). Anyone have their car set up like that?

4 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

sounds like a moonshiner's option for still access on unimproved roads

Could well be. From the period information I've read the larger diameter wheels were generally marketed to southern states due to the generally poorer quality (deeply rutted) roads compared to the rest of the country.

Just now, TodFitch said:

Could well be. From the period information I've read the larger diameter wheels were generally marketed to southern states due to the generally poorer quality (deeply rutted) roads compared to the rest of the country.

B I  N G O !!!!!  I think Franklin Co. Virginia was about the largest producer of moonshine back in them days based on the vast size of the outlaw distilleries, they were phenomenal 

The gentleman I bought my car from was a agricultural equipment rep.  His territory was in the hills and valleys of central Pennsylvania.  When I went to look at it, it was sitting up on 20 inch truck tires.  Don't know what the rims were, but it looked like it was standing on tip toes.  Further inspection found a 1/4 inch sheet of cold rolled brazed to the oil pan.  Its still there.  Additional skid plates were fashioned under the muffler and the differential.  When asked about the equipment, he said his travels covered mostly gravel roads, and basically tractor tracks into farmsteads a half mile or more off the dirt road, through stream beds up and over ridge lines, and over lots of unimproved tracks.  Later investigation revealed tire chain witness marks on fenders and wheel wells.  So my P 15 businessman's coupe may have been one of the original atv's.  When I picked it up the trail tires were gone and a set of mixed up 16s were on the car and there were 4 15 inch rims in the trunk.

Edited by greg g