Coil resistor

Warren kruger

measure the primary circuit of the coil with an OHM meter.....if approx. 3.2 ohms, it is internally resistor type...if approx. 1.7 OHM you will need an external dropping resistor of approx. same ohm value of the coil or you can tune it for optimum saturation by doing a amperage draw test.  Second, if your coil has a part number simply plug that into a internet search engine of your choice for results.

UPDATE...I did a 557 coil search and found the style coil supplied and it is not the typical oil filled but a E core, as you did not specify the type 557 coil, there are many styles, I am assuming your supplier sent an E557 and if this is the case, it is wound for constant 12 volt input, you will not need a dropping resistor.....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

the coil 557 has many prefixes tha twill denote the application...going to the internet and expanding on the DCM I am assuming again based on lack of input supporting your question that DCM is dodge Central of Michigan.  Their LE-557 is a standard coil type shown in the link   https://dcmclassics.com/electrical/302-le-557-coil-12-volt.html

and one can read the print to say that it is to be used without external resistor...now if there is another prefix on that coil other than  LE you should post the entire part number in order to get the exact parameters surrounding the coil you have in captivity.  More information you provide the only way you can get a exact tailored answer.  Again, based on lack of info from you;..I can only suggest you read the primary and proceed from there....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams