5sp conversion

Douglas

Are you looking for what will work and who provides a 'kit' or do you have a general transmission already at home or in your mind to use.  There are a number of people here who have tread this path and have posted here on the forum.  You could read a lot of data using the search parameter of this forum but type in "5 speed transmission" as your search criteria....grab a drink and some potato chips, going to be lots for you to look over.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Are you looking for what will work and who provides a 'kit' or do you have a general transmission already at home or in your mind to use.  There are a number of people here who have tread this path and have posted here on the forum.  You could read a lot of data using the search parameter of this forum but type in "5 speed transmission" as your search criteria....grab a drink and some potato chips, going to be lots for you to look over.

Thanks for the reply and I like drinks and chips. No tranny yet, engine is on the way. Want to keep the 6v system so would like to be able to use the starter. I’ll do some digging. Thanks

Be aware that certain NWC T5s have a terrible gear ratios like a 4.03 1st gear and only .86 5th OD.

You will need an S 10 NWC T5 if you hope to keep your bench seat as the shifter is mid point on the trans.

There are better gear ratios and spreads, but be aware and know what you are getting before you install it and OOPs I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd gear before I'm across the intersection from a stop light.

I will agree a T5 is easier to source than an A833 Overdrive, but it is no where near the trans an A833 is in ruggedness and quality....

9 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Be aware that certain NWC T5s have a terrible gear ratios like a 4.03 1st gear and only .86 5th OD.

You will need an S 10 NWC T5 if you hope to keep your bench seat as the shifter is mid point on the trans.

There are better gear ratios and spreads, but be aware and know what you are getting before you install it and OOPs I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd gear before I'm across the intersection from a stop light.

I will agree a T5 is easier to source than an A833 Overdrive, but it is no where near the trans an A833 is in ruggedness and quality....

Thanks. I have seen all the different ratios with the t5 and have looked into the A833.  Hmmmm

1 minute ago, Douglas said:

Thanks. I have seen all the different ratios with the t5 and have looked into the A833.  Hmmmm

All things to consider, availability is the big 1 in any case, good luck whichever way you proceed.......

3 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Contact Dave farewell at vintage metal works 330 322 3102 he makes a nice kit that uses the stock clutch linkage and flywheel. Do your homework before a t5

what transmission goes with that kit? I'm using the stock clutch linkage and flywheel in my T5 swap also. The only parts that changed were the pilot bushing and the clutch disk itself. 

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

what transmission goes with that kit? I'm using the stock clutch linkage and flywheel in my T5 swap also. The only parts that changed were the pilot bushing and the clutch disk itself. 

Give Dave a call. I used an early Camaro 5 speed but s10 and Astro van and consider speedo hook up getting hard to find mechanical speedo transmission but I used a fellow out of Washington state to convert my electric drive speedo back to mechanical. Dave's a nice guy. I thought it was the simplest kit I looked at without changing a lot of other things

1 minute ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Give Dave a call. I used an early Camaro 5 speed but s10 and Astro van and consider speedo hook up getting hard to find mechanical speedo transmission but I used a fellow out of Washington state to convert my electric drive speedo back to mechanical. Dave's a nice guy. I thought it was the simplest kit I looked at without changing a lot of other things

My swap is in a truck so it's a different animal however still good to know of other options. Also good to hear there are options for the electric speedo drive as my spare T5 is one of those. 

5 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Check out Paul Curtis. He makes an adapter kit that should get you where you want. 

I used this kit as well and recommend it. The install was easy but you have to have the bearing retainer on the transmission and the throw-out bearing holder turned by a machinist for clearance unless you can do that type of work yourself. 

1 hour ago, JOHN EDGE said:

There is now a company that makes a system that uses GPS to determine the speed and then drives a box that turns a mechanical speedo cable at the correct RPM to give you the correct reading.  That's nice, because it takes both the transmission and the tire size out of the equation.

Marty

• Thanks 1