Front License Plate Frame

fmfarrisjr

I have been trying to locate a front license plate frame similar to the one shown in the attached photo. Any idea if this was a one piece unit or just a chrome bracket bolted to the bumper which then attaches to a similar plate holder that is on the rear of the car?

1948 Dodge front bumper.jpg

Edited by fmfarrisjr

the frame around the license plate could be chrome but the bracket that it is affixed to on the bumper is of steel, prepped and painted.  The bracket often came with the car as a majority states in the day were two tag requirement.  The tag is what is typically mounted tot he bracket and the frame could be either attached to the plate or consist of drilled ears matching the plates mounting points.  I am not sure when this was standardized as I know early tags were odd shape and sizes determined by the issuing authority.  If you have the bracket and the tag on hand, find a frame to match the tag as the bracket was engineered to be totally adjustable mount pattern/width

3 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

that is the rear mount bracket and is a three point contact bracket...could be possible to alter for front but at the expense of more holes in a nice bumper

Yes, I saw the one on e-bay which is the same as my rear bracket. What I have to find is one similar to the photo on the post from Don Coatney. It's funny that since most states had a two plate requirement, more are not offered on e-bay. I guess I'll just keep looking. Thanks.

3 hours ago, fmfarrisjr said:

I have been trying to locate a front license plate frame similar to the one shown in the attached photo. Any idea if this was a one piece unit or just a chrome bracket bolted to the bumper which then attaches to a similar plate holder that is on the rear of the car?

1948 Dodge front bumper.jpg

'FM,

The pictured license plate bracket was the original correct one. Mine had a chrome stamped 'cover' that the fit over this steel bracket. I was not able to save this chrome piece, so I had the bracket plated.

Walt 

'FM'

Here's an old original D-24 License Plate Bracket, minus the vertical holder piece.

Walt

IMG_2356.jpg.f6c575f68d342d7e6544b26a92bcbf58.jpg

'FM,

The distance from the 'mounting hole to the bottom bend' is 3". The bottom bend's edge is just pass the bumper's edge.  Sorry for the picture quality, it was taken in a very cold unheated garage!

Walt

IMG_2389.jpg