what does d8 signify?

Dan S

D 8  is the engineering code for one of the series of cars made by Dodge in 1938, as was D10.

Plymouth in 1938 used P5 and P 6   . 

D...whatever means that its a Dodge, the number signifies which model in that particular year......My 1940 Dodge is a D15D which means its a 1940, Detroit Export car, assembled in Australia, Dodge in 1940 had D14, D15, D16 and D17 ....................here in Oz we had the D14, D15 and D15 D or Deluxe..............from John Lees Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990 your 1938 Dodge D8 was the standard US produced car, however there were also D9 and D10 Dodges built in 1938, some D9's were built in the USA for export however from what I can work out the D9's and D10s being based on the slightly shorter Plymouth chassis & body were mostly built in Canada..............I had a 1941 Plymouth P11 Coupe , it was a Detroit built RHD export car assembled in Sth Africa............in 1941 there were P11, P11D(Deluxe)  and P12 Special Deluxe cars............it gets confusing......lol..........the John Lee book is definately worth getting........welcome to the forum........Andy Douglas        

• 2 weeks later...

The codes can be found in any shop manual but they are not of any purpose other than to designate a particular model.