Views From The Old Dodge

fhubler

11 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

Pflaming, and Fhubler,

Guys, you may not realize it, but you’ve probably created a monster in me—I love the idea of a rear window wiper, and the photo of the Hudson may have sealed the matter for me—now I’ve got to have one . . .  The creative juices were already stirring, because I’ve been researching how to use a 6v wiper motor from Mac’s (Ford) in our Plymouth, and now I’m expanding this research to the rear window. Best regards to you both!!!

Fun, fun.  When you finally get one installed, post a short video for us of you driving backwards in the rain with your Plymouth. :o

• Like 1

On 11/16/2017 at 10:19 AM, DrDoctor said:

My dad was the same way. He served in the Navy on a heavy cruiser. He was involved in Operation Torch (the invasion of northern Africa, his ship came under Nazi attack during the Battle of Tobruk, and was almost sunk), Operation Husky (the invasion of Sicily) Operation Avalanche (the invasion of Italy), and was to participate in Operation Overlord (D-Day, the invasion of Hitler’s Fortress Europe at Normandy, France), but while enroute to their assigned assembly area, they were diverted to the southern coast of France, in the Mediterranean, instead. He never talked much about this. I garnered a lot of information on his Navy experiences from the Dept of the Navy, and the DOD, shortly before he passed. I’m convinced that your grandfather, my father, and most of those who served in WWII, were “cut from the same bolt of cloth”. We’re all blessed that they were. Warmest personal regards.

I was thinking about your post last night & I remembered this photo...  Its a screen grab from the Go Pro of my daughter watching the flags on this past Memorial Day weekend at Fort Indian Town Gap from the back of the '29 Ford as we toured the cemetery with the A&T group (a friend's '26 T is behind us).  She's too young now to realize what a moving scene this was for her Dad, but I hope that her appreciation for those who served will grow as she gets older.  This isn't a view from the old Dodge, but it fits with the spirit of the topic...  I'm sure at least one of those flags represents someone you father served with.

Forum Flags.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jerry,

Many Thanks for the photo, and information. Of course, you realize that you’ve just fueled the fire for me—now I’m going on the hunt in earnest!!!

Pflaming,

I asked my wife if she’d be willing to work the manual arm on the rear window wiper. Well, you can just imagine her “enthusiasm” for that. You and Fhubler will appreciate this—she actually asked me how often I’d be driving backwards in the rain. She also didn’t think the rear window would get that messed up driving forward. The girl’s still got a sense of humor, even after almost fifty years with me.

Fhubler,

I can’t express how much I appreciate your sharing that photo of your daughter looking out at all of the flags of our fallen comrades in arms. My dad probably has a shipmate or two there. Your grandfather probably had a buddy or two there, as well. I may even have a shipmate there. And, I’m certain that she’s aware of what a stirring site it is, and what it means to her father. Pass along to her how much it means to me, too.

Gentlemen, my warmest personal regards to you all. Even tho’ we haven’t met in person, hopefully someday we can. Until that time, I still feel privileged to address you as “Friend”. Thx.

"Gentlemen, my warmest personal regards to you all. Even tho’ we haven’t met in person, hopefully someday we can. Until that time, I still feel privileged to address you as “Friend”. Thx."

My thoughts exactly... Thank you for your kind sentiments.

Here's another new from the old Dodge.  This is what it looks like from inside after I pull into the garage...

Forum View 5.jpg

• Like 2

Some views from todays Sunday drive in the country, with my daughter laying on the back seat so she could watch the clouds go by through the back window...:)

Forum View 15.jpg

Forum View 14.jpg

Forum View 13.jpg

Forum View 12.jpg

Forum View 11.jpg

Forum View 10.jpg

Forum View 9.jpg

Forum View 8.jpg

Forum View 7.jpg

Forum View 6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Summer of '49, Seattle WA.

Five year old Walt Redmond and his sister Donna, are outside with their dad, G.H. Redmond, while he looks over the family's '49 D-24 Deluxe Four-Door Sedan. Dad was attending Boeing B-377 Stratocruiser school.

IMG_2375.jpg.418aaace1518995a743c30ae9c15ccc0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Fall of '17,  Lathrup Village MI

Sixty-eight years later, Walt's '49 D-24 Deluxe Three-Passenger Coupe.   

IMG_2308.jpg.aee45229a3dfe9e590d1c507dd9a3640.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

Summer of '49, Seattle WA.

IMG_2375.jpg.418aaace1518995a743c30ae9c15ccc0.jpg

"Honey, I'm stuck in the shift linkage & the kids can't reach - can you help??"

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

Fall of '17,  Lathrup Village MI

Sixty-eight years later, Walt's '49 D-24 Deluxe Three-Passenger Coupe.   

This has too be one of the best silhouettes of any car.  Thanks for sharing!

Fhubler,

Again—I LOVE the photos taken from the inside of your car. The countryside is beautiful, and the two-lane highways bring back another flood of fond memories. Thank you so much for sharing them. You’re really a lucky guy—having a pre-war car, and a post-war car. I don’t see how that could get much better. Warmest personal regards to you, and yours. Enjoy your holiday!!!!

Thanks again, Dr.  You are too kind!  After I've gone through the Town Sedan mechanicals, we'll have to wonder south & see if we can find you...  We live a simple, but beautiful life compared to many.  We can jump in an old car & drive any type of road surface with any type of terrain right in our back yard or can jump on the interstate 1 mile away & be in 4 different cities in an hour or less.  So we're in the middle of nowhere and in the middle of everywhere.  The only problem is these messy northeast winters!  I guess I just have to move, or put heat in the garage & wait it out...:(

Forum Modified 3.jpg

• Like 4

Fhubler, 49D-24BusCpe, Pflaming, Don, Jerry, Jipjobxx,

Hey, Guys, this is obviously off the original topic, but given the impending holiday, hopefully you’ll give me “a pass” on this one. Have you ever had a gobbler sandwich? Or, it’s also called a “bobbie” (like the London policemen). Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s the greatest, and a tradition in my family ever since we came back to the U.S. from post-WWII Germany. After the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, in the early evening, when everyone’s raiding the kitchen, take a slice of bread, put on some sliced turkey (light or dark—your preference), some dressing, some cranberry sauce, and the other slice of bread, and indulge!!! Further, if you really want to jazz it up, put on some sweet potato, making sure to get some of the marshmallow, and then you’ve got an unbeatable sandwich. It’s one of the things that makes Thanksgiving special. It’s my favorite holiday. If you’re travelling—travel safe!!! Warmest personal regards to each of you, and to yours, on this holiday.

• Like 1

Fhubler,

Hey, you’ve done it again—hit one out of the park!!! I love the photo of the Dodge next to the old stone church. I remember when returned from Europe, my grandparents taking me to church at a little church like that, altho’ it was a white wooden structure rather than stone. But, it was quaint, and I have the greatest memories of walking with them up the hill to little church. Thank you so much for the memories!!!

I plan to upload an album of edited photos to the gallery soon. Hopefully they make people smile like the car itself does out on the road.  Thanks again for your very kind sentiments.  I would also like to wish everyone a safe, healthy and happy holiday.  Take someone special for a fun ride in your vintage Mopar when you get together with friends and family!

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2017 at 6:08 PM, fhubler said:

It's hard to verbalize the therapeutic value of driving these cars - they are genuine time machines in many ways.  Very rarely does a dry road day go by that I do not take one of the 3 old cars for at least a short drive.  I took my parents for a drive in the '48 last weekend & it brought back memories for them that they never shared before.  My Mom told the story of a family trip to a state park a few hours away in a similar car ('36 Ford humpback sedan).  It would have been around the time the '48 Dodge was new.  My grandfather put the suitcases on the floor to make it level with the back seat cushion.  My Mom & her one brother slept there, one on the seat & the other on the suitcases & her other brother (the baby) slept on the back shelf between the back window & the back of the seat.  A "simpler, kinder era" indeed!  Here are three photos of her parents with what I believe to be a '37 DeSoto right after they got married & just before my grandfather went off to fight a war he would never talk about.  He left in Jan. of '42, my mother was born in June of '43 & she would not see her father until June of '45.  These are my heroes.  I can't view the photos without tear in my eye.  Maybe that's why driving the old Dodge is so special today...

Forum DeSoto 3.jpg

Forum DeSoto 1.jpg

Forum DeSoto 2.jpg

These photos are amazing. Thank you for sharing. 

The town dentist that was our neighbor and had an office in his home had a '49 or '50 fastback Pontiac with a rear window wiper. I know that some of the old bathtub styled Nash cars had that feature as well. I always wondered how well they actually worked. That vacuum had to travel a long way.:unsure:

John R