Views From The Old Dodge

fhubler

Here are a few vintage views through the windshield of the old Dodge from this week...

Forum View 2.jpg

Forum View 3.jpg

Forum View 4.jpg

Forum View 1.jpg

• Like 5

I LOVE the photos, especially the ones at night on the street!!! I love that you enjoy the car for what it’s original intended purpose is: driving it. When we drive our car, I’ve got a smile that nothing can wipe off. It takes me back to a simpler, kinder, era. Again—Great Photos, and obviously a great experience. Safe travels, and enjoy!!!

• Like 1

As a five year old, I enjoyed thousands of miles in our family's grey '49 D-24 Deluxe Four-Door sedan. Most of those miles, I 'logged' standing in the back, holding on to the robe cord, looking over my Dad's shoulder. It was wonderful looking at the traffic and scenery  during that "simpler, kinder, era"!    

• Thanks 1

It's hard to verbalize the therapeutic value of driving these cars - they are genuine time machines in many ways.  Very rarely does a dry road day go by that I do not take one of the 3 old cars for at least a short drive.  I took my parents for a drive in the '48 last weekend & it brought back memories for them that they never shared before.  My Mom told the story of a family trip to a state park a few hours away in a similar car ('36 Ford humpback sedan).  It would have been around the time the '48 Dodge was new.  My grandfather put the suitcases on the floor to make it level with the back seat cushion.  My Mom & her one brother slept there, one on the seat & the other on the suitcases & her other brother (the baby) slept on the back shelf between the back window & the back of the seat.  A "simpler, kinder era" indeed!  Here are three photos of her parents with what I believe to be a '37 DeSoto right after they got married & just before my grandfather went off to fight a war he would never talk about.  He left in Jan. of '42, my mother was born in June of '43 & she would not see her father until June of '45.  These are my heroes.  I can't view the photos without tear in my eye.  Maybe that's why driving the old Dodge is so special today...

Forum DeSoto 3.jpg

Forum DeSoto 1.jpg

Forum DeSoto 2.jpg

• Like 2

49D-24BusCpe,

You were standing in the car . . . obviously not wearing any type of restraint. Imagine, I bet those of us who are of our generation did that (I did), and we’re still around to talk about it. Try letting a child stand in a car now days. The repercussions would be just plain ugly!!!

Fhubler,

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your sharing those photos, and the memories. My dad had a ’49 Hudson Hornet after we came back from Germany (we lived there for almost 5 years), and he used to put some luggage on the floor to make it the same level as the rear seat, so I could sleep as we went on trips to see family (we drove at night, since the car didn’t have AC). My wife remembers riding in the back window tray of her dad’s ’40 Ford Deluxe Coupe. I confess to being abit emotional, too, at looking at the photos. I’ve got similar photos, but my dad was in the Navy, first in the Atlantic, then the Mediterranean, and then the Pacific. Our parents were in what’s called the “Greatest Generation”, and it’s called that for a reason!!!

You two guys are great, and I really appreciate your allowing me to participate in this journey down memory lane. I agree with you both—driving a car of this vintage does provide a direct connection with the era of our parents, and/or grandparents. It’s a priceless connection. Warmest personal regards to both of you.

• Thanks 2

The old cars and the pics do stir up some warm nice feelings. I can't really say why, I was born in '71. From everything I have read and seen in books, music,  movies, and stories from actual accounts, it did seem like a simpler time. I guess for some reason I wish I was around then. Sure there were bad times too, and desperation. The old cars remind me of the neat things about the era. I can't wipe the smile off, nor stop the attention that my '53 car gathers when I cruise in it. I love the cars from 55 back for some reason.  This winter I am happy to be a part of a local vintage car club project. We are working on a 1928 Dodge Brothers Standard Six. I am in there like a dirty shirt at every opportunity. I have learned a ton and just love learning more and more about the features and mechanical engineering of the day.  I have come to learn and respect the Dodge Brothers History. I have scrapped some knuckles on the old girl over the past few weeks. Come spring or summer my dream is to to be able to drive the 1928 to a car club event. I'll get my son driving my '53 maybe, to follow me along. Great times ahead in these old cars. The older they get, the better they become somehow.

I know its not in the car era for this group, but thought I'd share a couple pics anyway. Forgive me if I strayed off topic. The pics above got to me...

BmIzc1X5afHBGS9Z9MkSR5078ehHM-giS0XDlqD3

ZWZbZhkoQ6X4im_HNqMzv1adG9LoOVk5hevA6Pzx

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grandfather "few the hump" in the CBI Theater.  The only time I remember him getting irritated is when someone called him a "hero" for serving in that war.  He would quickly stop them and say, "I'm no "hero" - the heroes never came back."  I never knew why he never talked about it until many years after his death when I read a book by someone who served in there in the same operation.  The majority never came back.

My dad was the same way. He served in the Navy on a heavy cruiser. He was involved in Operation Torch (the invasion of northern Africa, his ship came under Nazi attack during the Battle of Tobruk, and was almost sunk), Operation Husky (the invasion of Sicily) Operation Avalanche (the invasion of Italy), and was to participate in Operation Overlord (D-Day, the invasion of Hitler’s Fortress Europe at Normandy, France), but while enroute to their assigned assembly area, they were diverted to the southern coast of France, in the Mediterranean, instead. He never talked much about this. I garnered a lot of information on his Navy experiences from the Dept of the Navy, and the DOD, shortly before he passed. I’m convinced that your grandfather, my father, and most of those who served in WWII, were “cut from the same bolt of cloth”. We’re all blessed that they were. Warmest personal regards.

• Like 1

I have the utmost respect for that generation.  My grandfather never had much money, but always had time to help others.  When my Mom was a child, they had a "bad" neighbor, who treated my grandfather (and everyone else) very poorly.  Whenever he needed help, my grandfather was the one who showed up.  One day my Mom asked, "Dad, why do you put yourself out for this man given they way he treats you?"  To which he replied, "when you can help someone, you help them, no matter how they've treated you or what you get in return."  They certainly are the "greatest generation".  Your father must have been an amazing man.

Thank you for that complement about my dad. Your grandfather sounds like he was quite a guy, too. My dad never did talk much about the war. I do remember him often saying that he was just glad it was over, that he made home alive, and all he wanted was to get on with his life. I agree with you, they were “The Greatest Generation”. It’s a title they earned, but most of them didn’t feel they did. They just did what they had to out of a strong sense of duty. My war was smaller, but I understand how they felt. Best Regards . . . .

• Like 1

Hey, I’m obviously not the most observant guy on the planet. I just noticed that you’re from Bethel, Penn. Now, I’m not that familiar with Penn, so where in the state is that? Is it near Philly? I worked in Wilmington, and went to Philly many times. In fact, my wife had surgery at HUP a few years ago. Dependent upon where Bethel is, we may not be all that far from one another. Regards.

About 2 hours NE of Philadelphia & about 3 north of DC... Unless you're driving something engineered before there were freeways :rolleyes:

Forum Dash.jpg

• Like 2

I'm 79 so I recall some of the war years, the many flights of airplanes to the west coast, rationed gas, tires, sugar, flour, a new '46 Chevy car after the war, no electricity, and like others returning service men who would not talk about what they experienced. Today I cry for what this once great country is becoming. Of all things I read these days, this forum, sans religion and politics, is my lifeline. Getting so anxious to get my '53 Plymouth on the road. 

Car pic exactly like ours, with rear windshield wiper, backup lights, heater under the passenger seat, but no white walls. My mother died in April of '47, 33 years old, "The best of times, the worst of times"! 

IMG_5258.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

Fhubler,

I really love the photos from inside of the car. This most recent one of the dashboard, and the gravel road in front of the car speaks volumes to me!!!

Pflaming,

I’m sorry about the premature passing of your mother. Those years were truly the best, and the worst, of times. I, too, miss “the good old days”, and they were good old days.

Now, a question about that sedan. While it’s not a Chrysler product, it’s still a car of those vintage years, so I don’t think I’m too far out there. I confess to not being a white-wall guy, but on that car—I wouldn’t change a thing!!! My question: was a rear window wiper an option on Chevy’s? I’ve never heard of it, much less seen one.

Gentlemen,

Warmest personal regards to both of you.

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

I lived in Walnutport, PA in the late 80's early 90's about 50 miles from Bethel.

Don, when I first saw your name, it looked really familiar to me...  Maybe we've met somewhere... I used to live in Hamburg & worked in the Lehigh Valley for 11 years.  Its a beautiful area.

"My question: was a rear window wiper an option on Chevy’s? I’ve never heard of it, much less seen one." 

About the rear window wiper, I'm guess it, like the back up lights, were an option. It was a vacuum wiper so had to be installed at the factory.  White walls were later, a rarity in the 40's as I recall.

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

"My question: was a rear window wiper an option on Chevy’s? I’ve never heard of it, much less seen one." 

About the rear window wiper, I'm guess it, like the back up lights, were an option. It was a vacuum wiper so had to be installed at the factory.  White walls were later, a rarity in the 40's as I recall.

That would be an interesting article... "The History of The Rear Windshield Wiper"...  I'm sure someone out there has written a book on obscure automobile options...  Check out the one on this '48 Hudson... I wonder if any Mopars featured this option?

Forum Rear Wiper.jpg

Very cool.  I'll keep an eye out for that.

8 hours ago, pflaming said:

CHEESE processing plant??  Appropriate! :unsure:LOL sorry, just couldn't help myself! 

Yes, maintenance Manager in a cheese processing plant was a noble job for a veteran. In all my years working in that profession I never met an associate who was a draft dodger. :unsure:LOL sorry, just couldn't help myself! 

• Thanks 1

Pflaming, and Fhubler,

Guys, you may not realize it, but you’ve probably created a monster in me—I love the idea of a rear window wiper, and the photo of the Hudson may have sealed the matter for me—now I’ve got to have one . . .  The creative juices were already stirring, because I’ve been researching how to use a 6v wiper motor from Mac’s (Ford) in our Plymouth, and now I’m expanding this research to the rear window. Best regards to you both!!!