Auto choke issues P20 '50 Special Deluxe

CC7

Looking for some help,

I Had some heavy hesitation under acceleration and serious misfiring so recently I replaced the plugs, ignition wire set, distributor cap, rotor and coil, also adjusted the float as to manual recommendations. After about 40 miles of driving over a one month period it now cuts out and having real problems starting and again if i get it going under any real acceleration it is hesitating and misfiring.  Quick look underneath and the carb is wet leaking a lot of gas and all the new plugs have heavy deposits of carbon on them(too rich??)  Checked the float again and seems ok , it is still the 1 bbl carter installed.

After a bit of tweaking around myself I took it to a local shop and they got her running for about 15 miles and then same issues again, they think it is the auto choke not working correctly, normally you can hear the spring 'clicking' when its switching itself on and off but that is not happening all the time.  Has anyone had any experience of this before, should I get new choke for it and go from there?  has anyone ever tried a conversion to a good old manual choke on these things?

Any help is appreciated, cheers

Is your choke the unit type that is bolted to the top of the intake manifold with a rod that is connected to a lever onthe choke body and then is attached to the choke butterfly inthe carb body. There should also be a wire that runs from the starter selinoid to the screw that is onthe top of the choke body.

Can you please attach a pictue of your choke?  There also should be a special gasket under the body of the choke when it is bolted to the manifold.  Sounds as if your choke adjustments are not set correctly. Do you have a service manual for your car or a chilton or motor repair book for your car. It will tell you how to adjust the choke and carb.

We need more info to be able to assit you. If you hve the above style choke then it is call a sisson automatic choke and not the style that came on the gm carb with the choke built into the carb.    I have a sisson choke manual that shows how to set up the choke.

Rich HArtung  desoto1939@aol.com    cell 484-431-8157  live near philadelphia., pa

It took me about 10 tries to set my Sission choke on my 52 correctly. Mostly the part about holding the throttle about 1/3 way open. It seems my idea of what 1/3 was different from those who wrote the manual.  Now though it works great.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Vacumn Gauge test tells alot about the health of an engine and whether it has vacumn  any advance as well if you know how to use one.

Cheap @ $20 for a Gauge at Auto Store  - easy test also. You can set a Carburator with one or discover a problem with the Carb or choke as well

Edited by Tom Skinner
adding line