Rotors help please

Jj1981

So my thinking is this. I am wanting to go as cheap as possible because that is who I am and how I operate. So now that’s out of the way. Disc brakes. I am wanting to go the disc brakes all the way around what rotors and bearings will fit I will figure out and brackets  later any ideas.  I am using bronco 2 wheels now and they work great thanks 1950 b2b

Then once again let me suggest Rusty Hope. HIs "kit" included the caliper brackets and necessary hardware to mount them. It also includes instructions and a parts list that you can take to your local parts store to get the rest. The kits is a reasonable price and then you can get the rest of the parts as your budget allows. It's basically Dipomat rotors, LeSabre calipers, etc. I cross referenced all of the parts and found that most of them can be linked to '85 models from Mopar, FoMoCo, and GM. 

I bought that kit as well. The whole deal. kit and parts,  was less than $600 and that's buying the parts at NAPA. The kit is only $215 of that and that includes shipping.

Better to save up and build the truck right the first time, especially when it comes to things like the brakes..cheaping out there and or using used unknown parts can not only cost more in long run, but could be worth your life.  Looking pretty is always second on my list of importance...just ask my wife LOL

Thank you guys. Agreed with all y’all have said. The issue is working two jobs plus having a teenager is tough on the budget so that is why I️ am going to have to slowly accumulate the parts or try to keep the drum brakes 

Charlie is a good guy and has sold a multitude of his kits for a good reason, they work. 

That said, there is, somewhere, a link to a thread with a sketch for the front brackets that, as I recall, uses Explorer bits and pieces. Cannot recall if it is for car or truck. Maybe someone has it parked in a folder.

Edited by wayfarer

No....you need to do some more reading on the site....there is no quick switch for disc brakes, I would say 80% if us are using the kit we described above, or if not a whole IFS kit.  If money isn't available to do it the right way, then run your drum brakes for now...any "new" brake conversion is going to take lots of fabrication experience and probably more money in trial and lots or error.

If I had to say where I spent the most money in any fabrication...its suspension and brake components.

Stopping is way more important to me then getting it to move... you know, when it comes to changing engines etc.

48D

Yesterday I removed the front drum brakes and ordered my second kit from Rustyhope. I fully agree with the above. I also laid in all new lines as well. If $215 warps your budget, this hobby may not be for you. Whatever, be very careful what you do, and my best regards. 

• Like 1

Ok I get what you guys are saying buy the kit but this hobby as you call it is not a hobby at all i own a farm work two jobs plus have ateenager I’m also in my thirties so no giant hurry just looking for some possible tech answers.  Thanks

At the end of the day, the best thing you can do is use this site for the experience that other members already have, and the advice given is mostly to your benefit to save you time and in some cases money.  If your not extremely experienced in fabrication work, then your going to hit a brick wall pretty fast and more then likely lose interest in your build.  I’m taking a shot in the dark, but from this post and a few of your others I’m guessing your not overly experienced in old vehicles, and that just fine...but again that’s why the forum is here..to learn from our experience and save you some headaches...take from that what you will and good luck

• Like 1