1940 Dodge instrument panel

Tom

Hi...My Dodge D14 project had a badly deteriorated gauge panel, no speedometer.

After researching the solution..restoration, replacement, etc through the usual channels l came across this.

l had the complete instrument panel from a 93 Thunderbird left over from a previous project...

A little trimming with the dremel ..

Senders are all available at local parts store and install easily in flathead 6 engine

Minimal expense and satisfactory gauges...obviously not original but fit nicely in original location

image.jpeg

Edited by Tom
Forgot pictures

Ok,I wanna see it in the dash. Where are those photos?

That is interesting, perhaps the picture came from Cuba? I can't imagine a usable set being that hard to find. I had a similar issue with finding 40 Plymouth gauges, it took a month or two but I collected enough clusters to get a nice set and a really nice spare set.

Hi...The picture was taken in my garage this morning...

Perhaps you have some advice where to look for a nice set...my searches in the usual places have been unsuccessful or beyond my budget...

Thanks Tom

Tom, am intrigued by what you have done as my 1940 Dodge speedo has some cracks in the plastic circular pointer.........do you have a pic of the rear of the cluster?..............thanks, Andy Douglas  

IMG_1377.JPG

Yes l have pictures...l will post ...

and to the question about 39, as l am relatively new to vintage mopars l am not sure...can you send a picture...much appreciated!!

and about the 40 Chrysler, see above, but l would think they would be similar enough to figure something out

Maybe try repair first?  If you could take it apart and scrape the old numbers off, then maybe get some stick ons from Michael's Crafts then clear coat over them.  Re-attach the speedometer. Then clean and paint the framing around the gauges.  If it's in that bad of shape you couldn't make it worse.

I'll be following this!  I have the same issues with my D14 inst. panel.  From what I can gather, the Dodge cluster was only for Dodge, for 1 year and only in the cars.

The 1939 Plymouth is close ... but would need to check the spacing of the small to large gauges to verify they fit behind the openings of the dash. 

@bryan that second link is the cluster from a 1939 dodge 

s20170913_213546.jpg

s20170913_213642.jpg

s20170913_213719.jpg

s20170913_213732.jpg

s20170913_213755.jpg

My clear plastic speedo centerpiece did the same thing. I went to hobby lobby and bought a sheet of heavy clear plastic. I cut out a new centerpiece and glued it in. 

Hi...l surely appreciate the interest and helpful ideas....Bryan ...Michaels is a great idea they have some very interesting stuff...and the clear plastic sheet for speedo ....you have me thinking...

l am missing the surrounding ring with the lines on it that point to the numbers.  Also the capillary tube for the temp gauge is broken...l repaired one once ...it worked for awhile..

The original gauges look so cool and you are looking at them all the time 

And when l drive the car l want to feel like l'm driving my old car!

Again thanks for the great information !

Tom

Edited by Tom
Forgot something

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-Circle-Cutter-Attachment-3-4-in-to-12-in-Diameter-678-01/202713389?keyword=dremel+hole+cutter

Used this before..can only cut a circle once since it uses a nail in the center of the material as a guide.  Works great and is cheap.

Maybe if you could find a plastic food dish of correct dimensions, cut center out, and find some kind of decal for graduated marks. Just guessing.  https://www.redbubble.com/people/cescia-jean/works/26177960-neon-car-speedometer?grid_pos=4&p=sticker&rbs=90553fe3-6bf2-438b-a1bc-e6487e09759b&ref=shop_grid

Here are more photos of instrument swap in my 40 Dodge...in response to Knuckleharleys request to see gauges mounted in dash....here it is in rough form...

And to Andydodges request for picture of the back side...l put the picture on the Dodge cluster and the Tbird cluster because the Tbird cluster has the wire terminals labeled...

l must say l am mildly amazed at the attention this thread has received ...and the idea of swapping in parts from other cars, whether dash gauges or an engine or anything really...l suppose we all draw our own lines between restore or replace..

l heard a man say that he looks out the windshield of his vintage car with 17 year old eyes...

When we get behind the wheel of our vintage car we feel young again..but we don't live in 1955 any more...like the man said its no fun driving an old dog of a car that can't keep up with the pack ...but making them faster and stronger was always what we were about anyway wasn't it?

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post..keep smilin'!

image.jpeg

Edited by Tom
Forgot something

Tom......I like that 17 year old eyes comment as I was 17 in 1971 when i bought the 'ol brown turd........was young and stupid, not young anymore, the rest?, well thats how it is.......lol.................andyd  

• Like 1

Interesting concept. If you know someone with AutoCAD or another software you can draw up the circle required for the speed numbers and they have options for the type of text to use. Choose an old style for the numbers and then add some tic marks on a smaller concentric circle. Places that do silk screen and print shops like the tee shirt places may be able to draw it up and make you one using 3M one sided sticky material.

• 2 years later...