best oil pan gasket installation

kendall

I'm installing an oil pan on my 230L. Is cork (including front & rear) the only type available for this engine?  Some recommend rtv on just the pan side of the front and rear gaskets, spray glue on block-side of gaskets to hold in place with pan side left dry. Some say both sides of all gaskets and let dry to avoid "squish". Is 60 inch pounds correct? Tightening sequence; corners first or center first and work outward?Thanks in advance.

In addition, the shop manual shows the gaskets sitting on the pan flanges as if about to be raised and installed on motor as if the engine were in vehicle.The end gaskets stand 1/4" above the pan's top edge, holding the longer side gaskets away from the pan as they rest on the tops of the end gaskets. we're told to not trim the end gaskets as they are to compress into the corners when the pan is tightened. Seems to be a good idea in pre-sealer times but it will prevent me from using any rtv or tack material if I follow the manual's instructions. ???

IMG_4486.jpg

Don Coatney ..."I used sealant compound on only one side of my oil pan gasket and used grease only on the other side. I have removed my oil pan 2-3 times without having to replace the gasket.... I used grease only on the front and read end pieces. "  - As per Don's suggestion,  this is also my preferred method for replacing the cork oil pan gasket and, only tighten the pan to the block for a "gentle" squeeze of the oil  pan gasket ...others no doubt  will have their preferred methods , results will vary . :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, T120 said:

Don Coatney ..."I used sealant compound on only one side of my oil pan gasket and used grease only on the other side. I have removed my oil pan 2-3 times without having to replace the gasket.... I used grease only on the front and read end pieces. "  - As per Don's suggestion,  this is also my preferred method for replacing the cork oil pan gasket and, only tighten the pan to the block for a "gentle" squeeze of the oil  pan gasket ...others no doubt  will have their preferred methods , results will vary . :)

Thanks!