Ignition lock question 48 Dodge ?

Bryan

Trying to take the ignition lock cylinder apart on my 1948 Dodge. Noticed that Rock Auto has ignition lock cylinders with keys from 1949 up.  Has anyone tried a later lock cylinder in the 1948 switch? More progress.  Normally you have to pick the lock if you don't have the key. The little brass pin won't let the lock turn, and you have to turn it to press it down. We drove it forward and out. Then I had to pick the lock anyway to take it apart. It has a clip at the end near the ignition terminal, you have to pull that out.  Still the cylinder won't slide out. I finally picked the lock, and it turned. Don't turn it but 90 degrees clockwise, and don't pull it out all at once. It has pins on the top AND bottom. Keep the top ones from falling out (they are different lengths).  As you pull the cylinder out little by little, expose the bottom pins in the outer sleeve (pins are spring loaded). As they fall out (one at a time) put them in order on the table. Don't know what I'll do now...still no code printed on the lock parts.

IMG_9116.JPG

IMG_9118.JPG

IMG_9120.JPG

Edited by Bryan
Made progress..and mis-spelled.

• Bryan changed the title to Ignition lock disassembly 48 Dodge

I've had them cut for cars and motorcycles, foreign and domestic, that for one reason or another came to me without keys. Last one I had cut cost $8.00 and it was a 2 sided foreign motorcycle key. 

One of my friends who most people would call an unsavory character can pick a lock in about 5 seconds. He can't make a key, guess he never needed one.. :)

• Haha 1

The drivers door lock and the ignition should be the same key. My 49 Chrysler came without keys and I took out the door lock and had a key made for it.  The key then worked perfectly in the ignition. It cost me $65 but i thought that was better than taking the lock apart like your doing.

• Bryan changed the title to Ignition lock question 48 Dodge ?

Figured out what was wrong. The new lock cylinder I bought had the tab end broke off. I switched it with my old tab, ignition switch works.  But I still don't know how the tab & contact interact.

New tab with top broke off.

image.jpeg.edf57517e7d419bbf0e7661388ea7dba.jpeg

Old tab

image.jpeg.beb82f475b53f5de00641199fe8124bd.jpeg

And a slight pisser..the ignition key that I bought on Ebay is not the same profile as my door lock. Won't even fit the door lock without pins in it.  According to ILCO lock site, 1199B and 1199G were supposed to be the same profile. Guess the ignition is something else. Edit: Found the correct profiles: 1199B & 1199G are different5a0ee3dd6dd7c_IlcoDodgekeys.jpg.7f828fc10d5685287ba62dd0dac31511.jpg

ILCO 1199B 1199G profiles.jpg

Edited by Bryan