318/360 in a 55 or 56

junkyardjeff

check these out, never used this company myself but other members have and may have some info for you.

55_56 Plymouth-Dodge SB Chrysler Engine_Transmission conversion 2188CPB.html

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Pre-70s slant six or 318 V8 if you're going to switch.  Otherwise I'd keep it original. How far? How often will you actually be driving?  Gas economy an issue?  

I want to be able to get parts on the road,I do 1000 mile plus trips and like to only carry a tool box and not a trunk full of spare parts. I had a hard enough time trying to get someone locally to work on old automatic trans so I would imagine its worse on the road and I want highway gears since on the trips to Florida I drive 75 to 80 all the way there and back so what ever I drive needs to be able to travel that fast for that long.

2 hours ago, mrwrstory said:

The Slant-6 is way long and in my opinion is a bigger project than a V8

Probably then go with a 318 V8. Haven't swapped any engines but people here have a lot of experience with engine, trans and rear end swaps.  Maybe edit the title of the post as a question, "Best engine/trans/rear end swap for my 55 car?"

Sorrry this is not a direct answer for you. I seem to recall the bell housing pattern is the same from the poly v8 motor and the late model 318. The difference I recall though is the crank distances from the back of the block. 

what you might consider is using a so called wide block 318 in your ride should be a bolt in deal....problem with the wide blocks is hot rod parts, 4 bbl intakes are rare and expensive...cams etc not real plentiful and while folks know what cams to use, choices are limited.

If you want to drop in a late model 318 and matching trans It’s probably not real hard. Take a look at butches cool stuff (listed above). Another site to look at would be quality engineered components, and maybe try forward look.net. Forward look specializes in 55-60 mopars.

20 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

Going to build a new long distance driver and really like the 55 and 56 models and was wondering if the newer motors could be bolted in or does it require custom made mounts.

55 and 56 what??   Some big differences between the various make/models. And what, exactly, is the problem with whatever the oem engine happens to be?  

Dartgame, thanks for the nod!