Lowering Mopars

bob westphal

Used that article as my guideline to lower my suburban Eaton front / rear springs. Fatman dropped upright. Relocate front shocks. Tire change. Drives so much nicer and looks better

image.jpg

21 hours ago, greg g said:

You can also pick up about an inch and a half by moving the bottom spring pocket from the top of the A arm to the bottom.  A bit of reshaping to fit around the bump stop is needed but the mod is mostly grinding, drilling, and bolting.

when this is done, do you lose the sway bar or is there a way to relocate it? i have a set of the control arms out of the car right now, and i have a friend that can do the welding for me, but i'm afraid that the sway bar isn't going to fit back in.

is there another car with a compatible sway bar that might fit the modification?

The position of the A arm doesn't change in relation to the sway bar.  You are moving the bottom of the spring from level with the top of the arm to the bottom.  Yours may be a different mount but mine fits into a bushing the clamps to a grove in the lower arm, don't see how the position of the pocket effects it at all.

27 minutes ago, greg g said:

The position of the A arm doesn't change in relation to the sway bar.  You are moving the bottom of the spring from level with the top of the arm to the bottom.  Yours may be a different mount but mine fits into a bushing the clamps to a grove in the lower arm, don't see how the position of the pocket effects i

This isn't my car but it's a clear shot of what mine look like. The spring pocket has a lip on it that needs to be ground down to fit on the bottom of the arm. that lip is where the top of the sway bar clamp attaches.  the bottom of the sway bar clamp attaches to the mount on the bottom of the control arm. that lower mount would have to be removed to allow the spring pocket to be relocated to the bottom.

suspension_LI.jpg

most of this stuff being a mod will lend the installation to yet another mod...the altering of the lower A-arm for the sway bar by doing a bit of cut fit and weld is low cost and not at all labor intensive to get to your end goal.  While I have not done the pocket reloction I have used later model A-arm and installed the period style sway bars with tabs needing be welded for the use of stock or complete fabrication of retainers.

• Like 1