Gasket v. Gasket Maker

Blue

Hey Gang, rear axle housing cover is leaking at the bottom bolt. A paper gasket is in place right now. I am having trouble finding an exact replacement (although I probably can with a little more looking). Does anyone use gasket maker like RTV to create a gasket. I never have before, but this seems like an easy way to go.

3 hours ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Ultra Black by permatex is the best stuff to use, all on its own..no gasket.  I use it all the time, works much better then the old paper gaskets.

Excellent. I was not sure which one to use. I will get some tomorrow and hopefully not be leaking on the driveway.

I don't want to appear arrogant or a know-it-all, but personally I dislike gasket maker materials in a tube when used to MAKE a gasket. The only place I would recommend using these or a similar product on a VINTAGE  vehicle, particularly  the engine, is perhaps sparingly on ONE side of an oil pan gasket when replacing for ease of removal if required. In a case where a gasket is not readily available for a job at hand, they're easy to make with suitable gasket material that should be available at most auto parts stores .The reason I mention this is that I've painstakingly removed some of this type of product that had been used previously ,(perhaps improperly) - was a sloppy job, did not do the job as intended, was clearly visible and I just couldn't let it pass - in all cases I've installed proper  gaskets , made them when I didn't have one on hand ...Call it an eccentricity if you like.  (Modern vehicles, powertrains, I'm sure there is a valid reason to use these products in some  of the required maintenance). JMHO :) 

Edited by T120
spelling

There is definitely a time and a place for the proper gaskets...valve covers and intake and etc...but when it comes to sealing differentials, 90% of the time RTV silicon is the answer and it can be trimmed after with a razor blade to be pretty unnoticed, but if your building a concourse truck, then I guess gasket is the way to go..maybe don’t put oil in it..nothing ruins judging like puddles LOL