glass

j scott

Dish washing detergent and lots of it. Put the glass into the rubber, Lube the outer rubber channel and slip a cord into the channel. Lube the metal with the dishwashing detergent as well. You may want to experiment with mixing a little water with the detergent as some say this makes it more slippery. Start the rubber channel onto the metal that the window goes into. Keeping pressure in the glass start  pulling the cord from the opposite side gradually working the rubber lip over the metal. It helps to slap the glass with your flat palm, not banging with a fist, or work the cord in a circular motion as you are removing it. The cord I used was paracord.

Edited by johnsartain
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 48 Ply P-15 that I restored  a few years ago. I'm getting ready to have it uphostered and washed it.  It hasn't been rained on since 1966! My windows are leaking

even though it has new WS etc. I think I need to pull the glass on the drive and pass. front.  Do I have to remove the regulator assembly to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

I only replaced the front glass, 2 pieces with center mullion.  I have the old ones- if this is what you're looking for, I could send you a template. I had a glass shop make them out of

laminated glass (polish the edges). Same as tempered. I'm not familiar with a C1B, mine is a 1948 P15

I am looking for the side glass.  The C1B is the 54/early 55 version.

I keep hoping to find a vendor that knows what glass to put in these, but the shapes they show don't seem to match the truck even when they give a year, so I am hesitant to order them.

Thank you for the offer though, I appreciate it.

Edited by Fibonachu

• 1 month later...

I haven't installed my windshield yet, but this video shows how to properly install glass into metal frames. My vent windows and side roll-ups turned out perfectly.

https://glass4classics.com.au/how-to-assembling-1947-1954-australian-chevrolet-pickup-1-4-vent-window/

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a split windshield on my 48 plymouth.  I did the restoration several years ago with new glass and rubber.  I had a hard time and finally persuaded  a guy that professionally

installs vehicle replacement glass to do it with my help.  I can't remember what I paid him, but it was worth all of it