Disk brakes need a booster? 1940 chrysler

Ajgkirkwood

With my chrysler i want to do disk brakes and with wanting to change the rear axle most likely all the way around. Ill most likely make the brackets myself but a lead on front spindles that are cheap and good would help. Dont know to buy spindles or take the orginal hubs and remove the drum (remove the rivets)

Dont want to remove the drum from the hub cause they are pain to find and someone might need them but it be a cheaper option then buying a pair of spindles unless someone trades me.

Anyways can i hook up calipers right to the brake like the wheel cylinder connected to and run manual disk brakes or is there more i need?

I have a front disc conversion on my 48. Hooked up straight to the existing lines. There is an adjustable proportioning valve in line. The previous owner did not install residual pressure valve for the front so a quick pump is needed to get brakes. I am in the process of putting in an explorer 8.8 with discs as well. It would hook to the existing lines as well as need a residual pressure valve. 

I am looking to replace the mc with a dual reservoir unit. I have no inclination towards using a power booster. This isn't the first car I've had with manual disc brakes. For time and money I'd consider the upgrade for the front and swap rear with a disc unit. Benefits are better gear ratio, updated braking hardware, an ebrake not mounted to the drive shaft, lower maintenance cost and better driveability. 

Save the fabrication to mount a dual chamber MC. 

Just my 2 pennies 

Dave

Yes you will need a proportioning valve to set front and rear bias even in a 4 disc system. For disc you will need a 2lb residual pressure valve and for the drums a 10lb. I have to pump mine too. Just waiting to get everything in and then shouldn't have anymore issues. It stops fine, I'd  just like to feel brake pressure at the top rather than feel it closer to the floor.