spitfire engine specs

virg R

The 47 plymouth 4 dr special deluxe has a 6cyl spitfire engine.  I'm looking for specs for general tune up, timing, valve adjustment,etc.

I've tried unsuccessfully to find info searching on line, HELP!  I'm not sure what year the engine is, early 50's?  I welcome any guidance.

To identify your engine there should be a number stamped into the block above the generator. The Spitfire head was a Chrysler only thing in the US and possibly in Canada too. So your car is either made in Canada where the long 25" engine was used in all cars or someone has installed a 25" Chrysler or Desoto engine in your car.

Once you identify the engine tune up specifications are available.

• Thanks 1

if it is indeed a Spitfire engine then it is a 251.  Tune up specs for a  49 or 50 Chrysler would do the job.

I would first check the engine number as someone may have used the Spitfire head for its  interesting logo.  It had no other special features .  It would actually lower the compression ratio if it was used on a 218, 228  236 or 241.

if you do not have the factory repair manual, a Motors manual will not only allow you to cross your engine by production series number, but define if early or late production run for the model and at the same time has all the pertinent data regarding tune up and other electrical mechanical parameters set forth for the engine and driven accessories.  As mentioned, post the number stamped on the block here if you have no access to data and it will be identified.  

The engine number will start with a letter and two digits.  That will tell the make and engineering code number for the model.  That information will year/s the model was produced.  C Chrysler, D Dodge, P Plymouth,  S DeSoto. T truck, I industrial.

On 2017-11-08 at 5:16 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

C53 in my Motors manual is reserved for a Chrysler V8 1951/52  ??????  

For 1951, 1952 and 1953 U.S. built Chryslers use the model year instead of the model code in the engine number prefix.  Thus engine numbers were

1951 : C51  (6 cyl)  /  C51-8  (V8) 

1952 : C52  (6 cyl)  /  C52-8  (V8) 

1953 : C53  (6 cyl)  /  C53-8  (V8)

For 1954 they returned to the normal model numbers, although with "-8" for the V8 models : C62, C63-8, C64-8, C66-8

Canadian Chryslers kept the model code system through to the end of 1957 production.