52 plymouth under hood color scheme ?

Dartgame

I will be painting my 52 plymouth soon, and am curious about the under hood panel colors.

My issue is that the car is the original color which is black so everything under hood - inner fenders firewall etc are black. I intend to change the body color from black thus my question.

I had seen that most cars appear to have the firewall painted body color, and the rest of the panels are black ? Should the under side of the hood itself be black or body color ? Mine is coated in heavy undercoating which I intend to strip off. Was it standard to undercoat the bottom of the hood on these cars ?

Most of the ones I've seen are body color as well. 

Mine is gray with a black firewall/bay but when I paint it I will have it painted body color just because I think it would look cleaner. 

Mopar cars had the firewall painted body colour, and that goes back at least to the early thirties.

The whole front doghouse was painted the body colour and then attached to the body.   Costs money to mask the body to prevent over spray when you do the firewall in black.  

Chrysler's new, larger bodies for 1949 were more expensive than their competitors and Chrysler began losing market share.  Thus they started cutting the cost of building cars - cutting back on paint, dropping the partition behind the rear seat, replacing wood grain with paint, etc.  

body colour on the top of the firewall is correct.   The lower part of the firewall can be either body colour or the same shade of blue-gray found in the trunk.  The underside of the hood would be satin black.  Undercoating was thought to reduce noise and possibly give the hood a more solid sound when it was pushed shut.   Waste of material in my opinion.

The 'non-black' '52's I've owned/seen had body-color firewalls and low-gloss black inner fenders and radiator support.  At the other end of the car, the inside of the trunk lid, as well as the rest of the trunk interior, was dark green primer color.  The cars built in Evansville had the inside of the trunk lid painted the body exterior color.

Thanks guys - I’ll be getting the car back from the shop in a few weeks. When I get it back I am going to pull all the trim, glass etc, and then send it back to the paint shop to get the work done..If I pull the motor we will paint the entire firewall body color, if not then probably just to the pinch weld...Really helps to have input from you folks, much appreciated !

Good to know the undercoating on the underside of the hood wont need to be replaced. This car while rust free, has a ton of undercoating which has had a direct effect on its overall condition of course...