Oil filter installation

Thomba48

The oil filter on my soon to arrive car is not installed (but available).  I can not find any installation guidance in my service manual, but did find a picture. I need just a brief advice - would this picture be in line with my actual set-up? Basic flathead 6.

Page178.jpg

I was looking at a 1948 video and they mentioned the bypass filter system or a full flow system. So I reckon either system could be on a car of that year. Try to see if the block fittings look like your picture.

Thomba.......................thats the same basic setup I used when I installed the bypass system on my car, it didn't have any filter when I got it so I installed the Beehive filter which is just a fancy upmarket version of the canister filter shown in your manual...........andyd   

IMG_1543.JPG

Many aftermarket brands were made for these motors for the filter add-ons. Some inlet and outlets for lines are reversed from your diagram but all seem to be labeled in/out stamped in the filter steel housings, so just follow the diagram on the block as to connections.

Make your own steel/copper/flexible rubber hose with correct connections. Watch for starter interference with the block/line fit-up.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

1 minute ago, DJ194950 said:

Many aftermarket brands were made for these motors for the filter add-ons. Some inlet and outlets for lines are reversed from your diagram but all seem to be labeled in/out stamped in the filter steel housings, so just follow the diagram on the block as to connections.

Make your own steel/copper/flexible rubber hose with correct connections. Watch for starter interference with the block/line fit-up.

DJ

:-)

Thomba....I had braided stainless steel lines made up for the Beehive to block.........they were NOT cheap.........because my filter was not mounted on the engine I needed to use some sort of flexible lines, however if I had mounted it on the engine then copper or steel hard lines would have been fine to use.....as to what they are called on ebay, I suppose "Plymouth oil lines" or similar should work........................just did a quick US ebay search and there are a couple of listings for the short flexible line that goes on the line to the oil gauge but no hard lines for the engine/filter connection.............andyd   

Edited by Andydodge
more info

6 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Thomba....I had braided stainless steel lines made up for the Beehive to block.........they were NOT cheap.........because my filter was not mounted on the engine I needed to use some sort of flexible lines, however if I had mounted it on the engine then copper or steel hard lines would have been fine to use.....as to what they are called on ebay, I suppose "Plymouth oil lines" or similar should work........................just did a quick US ebay search and there are a couple of listings for the short flexible line that goes on the line to the oil gauge but no hard lines for the engine/filter connection.............andyd   

:-)