Manuals etc.

Thomba48

For reference and work purposes I have a Plymouth Service Manual and the Parts list for my bespoke Plymouth 1949 (see attached pictures for reference purposes).
Is there anything else on the market - especially in regard to "how to build, repair etc. something" worth having?

thanks for the joint discussion

1949-plymouth-p17-p18-mopar-parts-catalog-mopar-original_202029755874.jpg

IMG_9621 - Kopie.jpg

Edited by Thomba48

27 minutes ago, JerseyHarold said:

Motor's repair manuals (issued yearly and available from eBay and other sources) usually contain repair and maintenance information not found in factory service manuals.  Might be worth a look.

I agree with JerseyHarold. Factory service manuals are something everyone should have,but they are written to address experienced Mopar mechanics working at a Mopar dealership,so a certain level of knowledge is assumed that a novice mechanic or someone not experienced with 1940's cars might not know.

Not so with Motors Auto (or Truck) Repair Manuals. They have whole sections dedicated to brakes,ignitions,charging systems,etc,etc,etc,and are written in plain language a non-mechanic will understand,and highlighted with photos showing what they are explaining. I literally pulled,rebuilt,and installed the first engine I ever rebuilt by following the instructions in a Motors Manual.

If it were me,I would look for a 19th Edition that covers all American cars from 1946 to 1956. That will also cover your P-15,as well as later model Mopar flatheads and drive trains in case  you want to update your car mechanically with updated Mopar parts.

Here are some listings from Abe Books,my favorite book source. You can also find it on ebay,amazon,and pretty much every other place that sells books.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Motors+Auto+Repair+Manual+1956&sts=t

I used the factory service manual(s) to build my truck and Suburban and found them to be sufficient and helpful. When I srarted some six or seven years ago, I had no experience in auto mechanics so I started reaching up to touch bottom yet I learned. To me the key is the vocabulary, so an ever present dictionary is key.

The second key is to learn the how it wows and why it works especially with the engine, it is a cause and effect machine and for example, one must understand the relationship between air, fuel, and fire and timing to ignite the three. 

And  I asked questions on this forum and many responded and helped for which I'm am very grateful. 

There is a time honored adage that states: one must read new material a minimum of three times to start to understand the content.  Do that, slowly  read the sentence or paragraph at least three times before proceeding and experience the difference. 

My very best to you and others, for this is a very rewarding experience for me. I'm 79 years old, if I can, you can. 

Thanks for all your support. As usual. I shall look into the au

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I agree with JerseyHarold. Factory service manuals are something everyone should have,but they are written to address experienced Mopar mechanics working at a Mopar dealership,so a certain level of knowledge is assumed that a novice mechanic or someone not experienced with 1940's cars might not know.

Not so with Motors Auto (or Truck) Repair Manuals. They have whole sections dedicated to brakes,ignitions,charging systems,etc,etc,etc,and are written in plain language a non-mechanic will understand,and highlighted with photos showing what they are explaining. I literally pulled,rebuilt,and installed the first engine I ever rebuilt by following the instructions in a Motors Manual.

If it were me,I would look for a 19th Edition that covers all American cars from 1946 to 1956. That will also cover your P-15,as well as later model Mopar flatheads and drive trains in case  you want to update your car mechanically with updated Mopar parts.

Here are some listings from Abe Books,my favorite book source. You can also find it on ebay,amazon,and pretty much every other place that sells books.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Motors+Auto+Repair+Manual+1956&sts=t

thank you very much. it will be purchased :-)

On the subject of Motors Manuals has anyone ever seen a edition earlier  than 1930? I have been collecting a complete set for 40 years and have 1930 through 1985 , the last year that I believe the stopped covering multi manufactures in one book. It is great fun to read info on old Tara Planes hudsons and obscure models!

2 hours ago, dodgeguy said:

On the subject of Motors Manuals has anyone ever seen a edition earlier  than 1930? I have been collecting a complete set for 40 years and have 1930 through 1985 , the last year that I believe the stopped covering multi manufactures in one book. It is great fun to read info on old Tara Planes hudsons and obscure models!

I THINK I might have seen one for sale on ebay a few years ago that covered 1920's cars,but for all I know it could have been the 1930 Edition.

On 4.11.2017 at 1:50 PM, knuckleharley said:

Done - is on its way :-)