1948 Windsor Wire Question (Loose, unidentified)

windsor48

I cannot seem to decipher in my Shop Manual where this goes and what the wire is for? So I turn to you guys... Can anyone tell me what this unplugged wire is suppose to do/power... and bonus points if you tell me where to attach it? I can upload more photos if needed.

Thanks so much!!

IMG_4196.JPG

My guess is its the ignition interrupter, that momentarily grounds the coil to provide some drive line slack to allow the semi auto trans mission to downshift when you want it to kick down for passing, climbing a grade or when maximum available acceleration is required.  It should connect to the positive coil terminal. This assumes you car is equipped with the semi auto trans.  You should check the repair section of the imperial Club web site  and check out the transmission section for the m6 trans.

• Like 1

It provides the ground for the starter solenoid.

It should be attached to one of the smaller terminals on the solenoid with the other end to the Armature terminal on the Voltage Reg.

When the generator is at rest, it will act as a ground.  When it comes up to speed, it will not. ( even at idle speed)  This prevents the starter from being actuated when the engine is running.

Thanks! After your comment of it being transmissions related I Looked through the Service Manual transmission section and tracked the wire . Sure enough it was suppose to be in the positive terminal. After hooking it up and going for a test drive  I noticed  SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT in the acceleration! 

Now I'll just need to try to figure out why this was ever unplugged... any ideas????

The PO had the car sitting for the last 10 years and I've found lots of corky things to work on that don't always make sense. :)

1 hour ago, greg g said:

Well are you talking about the wire near the breather with the ring terminal or the red wire near the inner fender??? I was referring to the one withe the ring.

Yep, the one with the ring. It seems to have helped with accelerating from a stop in the drive range gears. Nothing blew up or shorted out either so seems good... lol. :)